This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.377 / 51°22'37"N
Longitude: -1.3163 / 1°18'58"W
OS Eastings: 447681
OS Northings: 164440
OS Grid: SU476644
Mapcode National: GBR 825.Q04
Mapcode Global: VHCZK.4NG7
Entry Name: Sandleford Priory
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220371
English Heritage Legacy ID: 394106
Location: Greenham, West Berkshire, RG20
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Greenham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Greenham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 46SE GREENHAM NEWTOWN ROAD
10/4 Sandleford Priory
House, now school. C14 and 1780-1, James Wyatt. Rendered with slate roof.
2 stacks on ridge, end stack to south and 2 to east. T-plan. West front:
2 storeys. 2:1:1:1 2 bays. Glazing bar sashes with hood moulds, arched on
first floor. Plinth, string course, cornice and battlemented parapet. 2 end
bays to right and left project slightly, with diagonal buttresses and
battlemented gables with pinnacles and quatrefoil panels in tympana.
Projecting central bay has raised attic with battlemented parapet and
quatrefoil panel. First floor windows to right and left have curved
wrought iron balconies. Central doorway with 4-centered arch, side light
and 2 studded doors. 2 storey, 5 bay addition set back to left with cornice
and battlemented parapet. C.1800 kitchen block to far left, of brick with
hipped slate roof and 2 thermal windows lighting double height space. South
front has large segmental bow. Asymmetrical east front. East wing: C14
flint and stone chapel to east refaced in 1780-1 and rendered. Parapet,
crow stepped gable ends and tiled roof. 3 bays with diagonal buttresses.
West front with large segmental headed window and Gothick ogee arch above.
Interior: Gothick entrance hall with plaster ceiling and 2 niches either
side of door to east. Vestigial great hall, and screens passage with plaster
fan vaults on slender columns. Punch's room has dais at north with Doric
columns supporting shallow saucer dome above. Oval room adjoining to east
with Adamish decoration including wedgewood panels above cornice.Remodelled
chapel retains c.1400-20 roof with moulded arched braces and traces of
original colouring. Top of C14 arch visible in roof to west. Landscaped
grounds and lake to east by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown. The priory on the
site was founded for Augustinian Canons. c.1200. The house is important for
its surviving C14 work and as an excellent and complete example of C18
Gothick. V.C.H.Vol.4. pp.84-87 (including plan).B.O.E.Berkshire.pp.212-213.
Listing NGR: SU4767464465
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings