History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ivy Cottage Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Newburgh, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.589 / 53°35'20"N

Longitude: -2.7842 / 2°47'3"W

OS Eastings: 348188

OS Northings: 410559

OS Grid: SD481105

Mapcode National: GBR 9V0Y.15

Mapcode Global: WH86K.61GW

Entry Name: Ivy Cottage Farmhouse

Listing Date: 11 August 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1220875

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386336

Location: Newburgh, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Civil Parish: Newburgh

Built-Up Area: Newburgh

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Newburgh Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Rufford

Listing Text


NEWBURGH

SD4810 BACK LANE
663-1/6/97 (East side)
11/08/72 Ivy Cottage Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse. Probably later C17 in part, but dated 1742 in gable
of porch; altered. Mostly sandstone rubble, but with brick
addition and now all roughcast with cement quoining;
composition tile roof.
Formerly L-plan formed by a 2-unit main range with a
projecting porch-cum-stair-turret to the 2nd bay, with an
added rear wing to this bay and a C20 extension of it to the
right.
Two storeys, 1:1:1 windows. The wide 2-storey gabled porch has
one window on each floor to the front, a shaped stone in the
apex of the gable inscribed
S
R M
1742
and an altered doorway in the left side. To the left the 1st
bay has one window on each floor, and the extension to the
right has one window at 1st floor; and all these windows are
C20 two-light casements with rendered surrounds. Gable chimney
to left. Left gable wall and rear wing similar to the front.
INTERIOR: the 1st bay has a lateral beam with quarter-round
moulding and stops buried in the masonry of the wall
(suggesting former timber-framed construction); and approx.
one metre from the gable wall a C18 beam with run-out chamfer;
at 1st floor the 1st bay has a longitudinal timber-framed and
wattle-and-daub partition.


Listing NGR: SD4818810559

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.