This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4032 / 51°24'11"N
Longitude: -1.3254 / 1°19'31"W
OS Eastings: 447022
OS Northings: 167341
OS Grid: SU470673
Mapcode National: GBR 81S.V13
Mapcode Global: VHCZB.ZZ5Q
Entry Name: 2, 3 and 6, Cromwell Place
Listing Date: 10 June 1969
Last Amended: 2 September 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1221034
English Heritage Legacy ID: 394709
Location: Newbury, West Berkshire, RG14
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Newbury
Built-Up Area: Newbury
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Newbury St Nicolas
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1. CROMWELL PLACE
5127 (north side)
Nos 2, 3 and 6
(formerly listed as Nos 2 to 6)
SU 4767 SW 6/79 10.6.69
Circa 1754 terrace of originally 5 cottages; converted 1959 for use as 2 offices.
Two storeys. Formerly 2 windows to each cottage. Mansard tile roof. Grey brick
with red brick dressings. Moulded brick cornice and parapet swept up at ends.
Gauged flat red brick arches to slightly recessed sash windows with exposed boxing
and glazing bars. Three original doors replaced by sash windows matching existing
2 surviving doorways with console bracketted hoods and panelled doors. Lead
rainwater pipe and head inscribed "BM 1754". Interior suggest that there was a
continuous 1st floor passage serving a series of bays, possibly storage or living
units prior to its use as cottages. A lean-to and extensions for stairs appear to
have been added later.
(Newbury Buildings Past and Present (1973) 73).
Listing NGR: SU4702267341
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings