This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8648 / 50°51'53"N
Longitude: 0.068 / 0°4'4"E
OS Eastings: 545628
OS Northings: 109296
OS Grid: TQ456092
Mapcode National: GBR LRH.L1R
Mapcode Global: FRA C61T.6BJ
Entry Name: The Stables of Glynde Place to South West of the House
Listing Date: 17 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1221605
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292945
Location: Glynde, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Glynde
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Glynde St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
The stables of Glynde
Place to south-west
of the house
TQ 4509 31/527B 17.5.52.
These were built by and presumably designed by John Morris of Lewes for Dr
Richard Trevor, Bishop of Durham, between 1755 and 1760. They consist of 2
buildings at right angles to each other, joined by a flanking wall. The building
at the south-west corner of the house is faced with cobbles, with stringcourse,
long and short quoins and window surrounds of brick. Wooden eaves cornice.
Roof of slates in front and of Horsham slabs at the back. Casement windows
with small square leaded panes. Nine windows facing south and 2 red brick
doorways. Three windows facing east. The other building stands across the
carriage drive. Two storeys. Six windows. It is faced with squared knapped
flints on the west side facing the road. Stone stringcourse, eaves cornice
and window surrounds. Rusticated red brick quoins. Central carriage arch
flanked by wide red brick pilasters with brick pediment over. Hipped slate
roof. Shingled turret over the archway (leaning slightly to the south) with
a clock-face east and west and an octagonal cupola containing a bell surmounted
by a lead canopy with gilded ball finial.
Listing NGR: TQ4562809296
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings