This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1256 / 53°7'32"N
Longitude: -1.2701 / 1°16'12"W
OS Eastings: 448940
OS Northings: 358959
OS Grid: SK489589
Mapcode National: GBR 7D4.3Q6
Mapcode Global: WHDFY.GPFQ
Plus Code: 9C5W4PGH+6X
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 4 June 1980
Last Amended: 12 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1221773
English Heritage Legacy ID: 410950
Location: Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG17
Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's
Built-Up Area: Sutton in Ashfield
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Sutton-in-Ashfield St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 45 NE SUTTON IN ASHFIELD CHURCH AVENUE
Church of St Mary Magdalene
3/29 (formerly listed under
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C19. Chancel rebuilt 1854.
Restored and aisles enlarged 1867. Coursed and squared rubble
and dressed stone. Ashlar dressings. Gabled and lean-to slate
roofs. Plinth, chamfered eaves, coped gables, some with crosses.
West tower, nave, north and south aisles, organ chamber, vestry,
chancel, south porch. Tower and spire, c.1395, 2 stages, has
moulded and chamfered plinth, chamfered string course, coved
eaves with spouts and crenellated parapet. To west, 2 diagonal
buttresses, 4 setoffs. To east, 2 plain buttresses engaged with
aisles. South side has stair lights. West side has moulded
doorway with hood moulds. Above it, a lancet. Second stage has
4 double lancet openings with chamfered and rebated angular-
headed reveals. Set back octagonal spire with weathercock. Nave
clerestory, 4 bays, has on each side 4 ogee headed double
lancets, C19, with square headed reveals and hood moulds. North
aisle with continuous organ chamber, 6 bays, has 6 buttresses and
6 untraceried double ogee lancets with square headed reveals and
hood moulds. South aisle, 5 bays, has 4 buttresses. 4 lancets
similar to north aisle. East end has restored C14 ogee double
lancet with flowing tracery and hood mould. Vestry, mid C19, 2
bays, has flat roof with coped parapet. North side has 3
buttresses and 2 ogee double lancets with hood moulds. East side
has moulded doorway flanked by single ogee double lancets.
Chancel, 2 bays, has at east end triple lancet, Decorated style,
1907, with hood mould and stops. South side has off-centre
pointed doorway flanked by single C14 double lancets with hood
moulds. Gabled south porch, mid C19, has 2 diagonal buttresses.
Simple moulded doorway with hood mould. Interior has wooden
benches and common rafter roof. Inner doorway, double chamfered
and rebated, restored, has hood mould. Chamfered and rebated
tower arch, C14, has traceried crested timber war memorial
screen, c.1920. North arcade, C12, 4 bays, restored, has 3 round
piers with simple bases and waterleaf capitals. Triple shaft
east respond with stiff leaf capital and masks. Chamfered and
rebated arches. South arcade, C13, has round piers, those to
west with octagonal capitals. Arches similar to north arcade.
Nave has principal rafter roof with arch braces and struts, 1867.
North and south aisles have arch braced lean-to roofs with
moulded corbels. North aisle west end has 3 re-set corbels.
North side has stained glass windows 1907, 1921, 1922, 1928.
East end has chamfered archway with traceried screen, 1907.
South aisle east end has C19 stained glass window flanked by
single figure brackets. South side has to east, C14 cusped
piscina and stained glass windows 1891, 1902, 1916, 1951.
Chancel arch, C13, chamfered and moulded, has keeled responds
with water holding bases. Chancel north side has opening
contaning organ in corbelled case. East end has oak dado, 1909
and traceried panelled reredos and stained glass window, 1907.
South side windows have patterned stained glass. Fittings
include C12 pillar piscina, C19 octagonal font, traceried octagonal ashlar pulpit,
1866, and brass eagle lectern, 1900. Late C19 and mid C20 panelled stalls, desks
and benches. Mid C18 table. Memorials include Classical marble and slate tablet
with obelisk and female figure, to William Unwin, 1774. 5 brasses, C19 and C20.
Marble and alabaster tablets, 1859 and 1918. Two alabaster and mosaic war memorial
panels, c1920. Plain war memorial tablet c1945.
Listing NGR: SK4894058959
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings