History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Warden Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Old Warden, Central Bedfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0846 / 52°5'4"N

Longitude: -0.3283 / 0°19'41"W

OS Eastings: 514644

OS Northings: 244236

OS Grid: TL146442

Mapcode National: GBR H48.7TN

Mapcode Global: VHGMZ.8V9T

Entry Name: Old Warden Park

Listing Date: 6 March 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1222169

English Heritage Legacy ID: 414261

Location: Old Warden, Central Bedfordshire, SG18

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Old Warden

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Old Warden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Biggleswade

Listing Text

TL 1444 OLD WARDEN

11/120 Old warden Park

GV II*

Country house, now part of the Shuttleworth Agricultural College. 1875-76
by Henry Clutton for Joseph Shuttleworth, who had become wealthy through the
success of his Lincolnshire engineering firm, Clayton and Shuttleworth. The
house was to imitate Gawthorpe Hall (c.1600), the home of the well-established
Lancashire Shuttleworths. Later wing 1883, probably by W Bennison, and some
additions and internal alterations (1896) by R Weir Schultz. Mainly ashlar,
with service wing partly in yellow brick. Jacobean style. 3-storeyed
rectangular block with single-storeyed roof-lit central hall. 4-stage tower
and lower wing to E. Rooms arranged in balanced, although not always
symmetrical, plan. S elevation: 5-bay facade, central and outer bays with 3-
storeyed canted bay windows. All mullion and transom windows, those to 2
recessed bays with moulded labels. Central bay, approached by flight of
steps, forms porch at ground floor. This has round-headed stilted archway
with moulded surround and label, flanked by clustered columns with bases at
various heights. Doorway itself has segmental head with moulded stilted arch,
and dripstone whose stops merge into wall (as do stops of all dripstones
throughout building). Panelled and part-glazed double doors. Plain string
courses to first and second floors. High parapet, plain with loopholes above
recessed bays, with horseshoe-arched arcading above projecting bays. Various
multiple chimney stacks, all of linked octagonal flues with moulded cornices.
W elevation has 2 3-storeyed rectangular bays. N elevation has projecting 3
window bay to centre, with rounded angles above ground floor level supported
on moulded corbels. Projecting bay has part-glazed door to LH, surmounted by
stained glass window of the seasons, the whole within moulded label. Similar
fenestration and parapets throughout. lower: lower stages are plain, with
loophole windows to 3rd stage. Top stage has balcony to all sides with
similar balustrade to that of house parapet. Clock face to each side, flanked
by louvred windows and surmounted by arcading similar to house parapet. Plain
parapet with loopholes. E wing is partly, if not entirely, a later addition.
Partly of yellow brick with stone dressings, in simpler style than main block.
Most windows smaller and mullioned, except for large mullion and transom ones
to former billiard room which are similar to those in main block. Interior:
Ground floor retains most original decoration. Front hall: pink marble
chimney piece with white marble relief of boar hunt, fairly plain geometric
plasterwork mouldings to ceiling. Library (of which chapel is C20
subdivision): rather Rococo in style; 2 white marble chimney pieces with gilt
framed mirrors; light plasterwork panels to walls and ceiling with rinceaux,
festoons, etc; 2 carved wood bookcases set into S wall of N half. Dining
room: simpler Rococo style, including carved wood fire surround and
overmantel. Central hall: heavier decoration, including deeply coffered
gilded ceiling, half-height oak panelling, and marble and wood chimney piece
with grotesque heads, rinceaux and Shuttleworth coat of arms. Staircase:
simple rectangular ceiling mouldings, open well stair in oak with square
section moulded balusters. Billiard room (now Resources room) in E wing:
plaster cornice frieze with strapwork and festoons. Carved wood chimney piece
incorporates caryatids and panels showing biblical scenes, probably Jacobean,
and may be reused from the house of 3rd Lord Ungley, demolished to make way
for Clutton's building. E tower contains service stairs and lift.
(P Hunting, "Henry Clutton's country houses", Architectural history, vol.26,
1983, pp.100-104).


Listing NGR: TL1464444236

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.