This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3477 / 53°20'51"N
Longitude: -2.2501 / 2°15'0"W
OS Eastings: 383448
OS Northings: 383448
OS Grid: SJ834834
Mapcode National: GBR DYQQ.NN
Mapcode Global: WHBB7.D3RY
Plus Code: 9C5V8PXX+3X
Entry Name: Norcliffe Chapel
Listing Date: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1222255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 414370
Location: Styal, Cheshire East, SK9
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Styal
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Wilmslow St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 88 SW WILMSLOW FORMER U.D. ALTRINCHAM ROAD (South Side)
1/249 Norcliffe Chapel
Formerly Baptist Chapel, from 1833 Unitarian Chapel: 1823 for Samuel
Greg, chancel and porch 1857 for Robert Greg and club room added 1905.
English garden wall bond red brick, stone dressings. Kerridge
stone-slate roof, and stone ridge. 5-bay nave, 3-bay chancel,
south-east porch, and club room to north. Stone plinth and band at
sill level. Bays of nave divided by later buttresses have stone
rectangular windows with pairs of lancets. Open gabled timber-framed
porch with trefoil headed entrance and lights. Behind is a 2-centred
arched stone doorcase with a pair of studded oak doors. On the nave
ridge is a square open timber bellcote with a tall pyramidal roof.
Single trefoil lights in chancel with label moulds. East window of 3
lights with rose in apex.
Interior: Nave has arch-braced tiebeam trusses sprung from stone
corbels. Chancel arch on engaged quatrefoil colonnettes on stone
corbels. Trefoil headed door to vestry. Memorials to Greg family are
simple white marble plaques on black marble bases. Organ with painted
pipes of 1882 by Forster and Andrews, Hull.
Listing NGR: SJ8344883448
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings