This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0388 / 51°2'19"N
Longitude: -2.3532 / 2°21'11"W
OS Eastings: 375332
OS Northings: 126667
OS Grid: ST753266
Mapcode National: GBR 0VK.ZTY
Mapcode Global: FRA 56YC.R1J
Plus Code: 9C3V2JQW+GP
Entry Name: Shanks House
Listing Date: 24 March 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1222369
English Heritage Legacy ID: 261716
Location: Cucklington, South Somerset, Somerset, BA9
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Cucklington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST72NE CUCKLINGTON CP LONG LANE
5/20 Shanks House
Country House. Medieval fragments, major C17 and C18 works including refitting by Nathaniel Ireson. Cary stone rubble
with ashlar dressings, some faces rendered; stone slate hipped roofs; mostly brick chimney stacks. Hybrid plan; main
narrow long range runs North/South, with C17/C18 portion astride and to East. 2 storeys with attics, some cellars.
North elevation of later block of 6 bays, of which bays 1 and 6 project slightly, with 2-storey porch to bay 4 of
greater projection. Plinth, formerly rendered above; 12-pane sash windows in plain openings, of which lower bay 5 and
all upper windows have thick glazing bars; porch has 10-panel plain double doors flanked by rusticated pilasters with
flat keystoned head and flat timber hood on carved console brackets; above semi-circular arched window with architrave,
impost blocks and keystone, set under segmental pediment crowned by small chimney stack; bay 6 fragment of a reserve
chamfer mullioned window at low level, then a single-storey range extending Northwards, with cellars under, which has a
small blocked 4-centre arched doorway on East face; this probably last remains of medieval farmhouse. East elevation
possibly by Ireson; 5 bays, ashlar faced. Plinth, small dentilled cornice; 12-pane sashes in architraved surrounds with
keystones; to lower bay 3 shouldered architrave with triple keystone to french doors, under pediment carried on console
brackets; 3 pitched roof dormers. Little on South elevation except semi-circular arched window to stairwell, with
impost blocks and keystone to surround. West facade mostly C17, with 7 bays, 3-storey where later block intrudes;
reserve chamfer mullioned windows, 3-light to ground floor and 2-lights to first, the latter apparently have lowered
cills; buttressed cambered arched doorway bay 1 and stone slated porch with 3-centre arch to bay 6; lead rainwater
stackhead endorsed "WCM 1759"; to ridge of roof over bay-7 a C18 timber lead-covered bell turret with windvane; North
West wing of 5 bays with casements and door bay 1, large segnental arched doorways bays 2 and 3, then two 16-pane
sashes, between which is a mounting block, then a low C18 door to cellars. Interior has much of interest, notably in
the C17/C18 block, with Ireson's work much in evidence. Porch has flag floor, panelled walls with recesses, ceiling
cornice. Centre room has panelled dado, heavy cornice, in South wall ornate semi-circular fanlight over double
panelled doors retaiining much C18 glass. North East room has C18 panelling with fluted composite pilasters which may
adapt C17 work, an elliptical arch in East wall, and an 8-panel C17 door in South wall, higher ceiling. North West
corner room has fielded panelling and ornate plaster ceiling with circular panel marked by flowers and swags, shutters
to window, fine fireplace with egg and dart mould surround, panel featuring cherubs engaged in astronomy, flanked by
timber Corinthian pilasters carrying extended pediment. South West room less elaborate, with simple cornice, good
doorcases and fireplace, with added 1820 bay window in South wall. Staircase fine C18 work with turned balusters,
Corinthian columns to corners, deep moulded dado, elaborate end detail over strings; stairwell has ornate plasterwork
with frieze at upper floor level, applied swags to upper walls and ornate plaster ceiling with octagonal panel.
Panelled room over porch with timber dentilled cornice. South East corner bedroom panelled with wood cornice; fine
panelling, cornice and fireplace in North East corner bedroom. In North East corner bedroom, C17 wings traces of
moulded cambered arch fireplace. Several C17 doors in attics. Cucklington had a manor and a market in 1304; this could
be on the site of that manor which stood "at the foot of the hill". Referred to in will of 1622 as "my house called
Shanks'. From 1622 to 1729 home of Watts family then passing into Dalton family, who must have commissioned the
reshaping. (Sweetman G, History of Wincanton, c1903).
Listing NGR: ST7533226667
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings