History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stibbington House

A Grade II Listed Building in Sibson-cum-Stibbington, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.5746 / 52°34'28"N

Longitude: -0.4141 / 0°24'50"W

OS Eastings: 507570

OS Northings: 298605

OS Grid: TL075986

Mapcode National: GBR FWT.J4B

Mapcode Global: WHGMB.MK02

Plus Code: 9C4XHHFP+V9

Entry Name: Stibbington House

Listing Date: 16 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1222415

English Heritage Legacy ID: 414524

Location: Sibson-cum-Stibbington, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE8

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Sibson-cum-Stibbington

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Thornhaugh and Wansford

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

(west side)
Stibbington House

The fifth sentence of the description shall be amended to read:- "Shallow pitched
hipped welsh slated roofs with deep boarded eves, summounted by a wooden octagonal
belvedere with glazed round arched arcade and with clock faces in north and south


TL 0698
(West Side)
10/135 Stibbington House
House formerly the miller's house to Wansford Paper Mill. Rebuilt after a
fire c.1805, with additions and alterations from c.1825. Clock belvedere 1844
and clock by John Brumhead of Stamford. Coursed limestone with freestone
dressings. Shallow pitched hipped Welsh slated roofs with deep boarded eaves,
surmounted by a wooden octagonal belvedere with glazed round arched arcade and
with clock face in north facet. Symmetrical brick stacks. Three storeys and
basement with single storey drawing room addition to west of original square
plan. Entrance facade of three symmetrical bays approached by stone steps to
verandah returning to side elevations; patterned cast iron piers and frieze
support tented metal canopy. Mid C19 siting of Ionic pilastered architrave to
entrance doorway with six-panelled glazed door and cast iron patterned glazing
bars to rectangular fanlight. Two garden casements, three first floor and
second floor recessed hung sash windows with flat gauged stone arches.
Interior details early C19 with later C19 alterations; open string staircase
with plain and turned balusters. The mill was closed in 1859/60 after an
explosion in 1855, the grounds were landscaped by L.C. Gilbert in 1927 for
G.W. Abbott., The original building is illustrated in a bill head of Thomas
Nelson, paper maker c.1830, the original portico may have been reused in the
door architrave.

V.C.H. Huntingdonshire, p217
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p362
Gilbert, J.L. Stibbington Church and Parish, 1978
Gilbert, J.L. Wansford Paper Mills

Listing NGR: TL0757098605

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.