History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fernery the Grotto

A Grade II* Listed Building in Old Warden, Central Bedfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0888 / 52°5'19"N

Longitude: -0.3241 / 0°19'26"W

OS Eastings: 514921

OS Northings: 244703

OS Grid: TL149447

Mapcode National: GBR H48.2WH

Mapcode Global: VHGMZ.BRJM

Entry Name: Fernery the Grotto

Listing Date: 11 October 1973

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1222502

English Heritage Legacy ID: 414691

Location: Old Warden, Central Bedfordshire, SG18

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Old Warden

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Old Warden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Biggleswade

Listing Text

TL 1444 OLD WARDEN THE SWISS GARDEN

11/176 The Grotto and Fernery
11.10.73

- II*

Grotto and fernery. Early 1830's for 3rd Lord Ongley, entrance gables rebuilt
by Shuttleworth family and dated 1876. The grotto is of mottled red brick and
has clay tile roofs with ridge cresting. The fernery has base of same brick,
supporting mainly glass and cast iron structure (ironwork produced 1830-33 by
Barwell swaggers Eagle Foundry, Northants). Cruciform plan, grotto running
roughly N-S, fernery W-E, grotto with gabled roof, the fernery a vaulted
glasshouse, with an iron and glass dome at the intersection. The grotto is
lined with tufa stone to give'a cave-like appearance, and has a lancet window
to the all of each wing opposite a niche, possibly originally intended for
statuary. The later entrance gables have round-headed archways and glazed
doors. The 2 fernery wings are each supported internally by a pair of slender
cast iron pillars, and each have a circular stained glass panel to the end
wall. The central dome is topped by a lantern with a conical roof and ball
finial.


Listing NGR: TL1492144703

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.