This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7221 / 50°43'19"N
Longitude: -3.5293 / 3°31'45"W
OS Eastings: 292147
OS Northings: 92507
OS Grid: SX921925
Mapcode National: GBR P1.90C3
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H5.GW0
Entry Name: The Bishop's Palace
Listing Date: 15 January 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1222943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 418407
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX1
Electoral Ward/Division: St David's
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exeter Cathedral
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
The Bishop's Palace
SX 9292 NW 3/59
SX 9292 SW 6/59 15.1.64
Retains some C13 work, the main block having originally been the Great Hall. Lower
part of Entrance tower and fine internal arch of this date. C13 Chapel, restored
by William Butterfield. Famous "Courtenay" mantelpiece (position moved) late C15.
Many later demolitions and alterations, including virtual rebuilding in 1846-8,
by Ewan Christian. Heavitree stone. Three storeys. Mullioned windows. Slate
roof. Early C16 oriel window brought from demolished house in city.
All the listed buildings in Palace Gate form a group.
Listing NGR: SX9214592503
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings