This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9666 / 50°57'59"N
Longitude: -0.1056 / 0°6'20"W
OS Eastings: 533121
OS Northings: 120282
OS Grid: TQ331202
Mapcode National: GBR KNR.B41
Mapcode Global: FRA B6NK.BPL
Entry Name: Great Ote Hall
Listing Date: 17 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1223018
English Heritage Legacy ID: 418541
Location: Wivelsfield, Lewes, East Sussex, RH15
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Wivelsfield
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Wivelsfield St Peter and St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
WIVELSFIELD JANE'S LANE
Great Ote Hall
TQ 32 SW 1/59 17.3.52.
The old portion of this house is a T-shaped building, of which the southern
arm forms a very small projection, so that the plan of the house seems more
like an L, to which a modillion south wing has been added. The original portion
is the west wing which is a timber-framed building, restored, of about 1550
with plaster infilling and close-studding. The east wing was added by Thomas
Godman in 1600 and has this date on it. This is also timber-framed, restored.
Horsham slab roof. Casement windows. Three windows. The north front forms
an L and has chimney breast on the west walls of both the west and north wings,
the lower portion in each case being of ashlar, above of red brick. The north
wing has a gable oversailing on brackets with a carved pendant and below the
gable a 2 storey bay. The west wing has a similar dormer and a modern 2 storey
gabled porch. Four windows. The east front has 3 windows. The outer window
bays have slightly projecting bays of 2 storeys with gabled dormers over.
The centre window bay is similar but projects much more and has an oriel window
on the first floor with a pediment over containing the initials G. T. M [Godman,
Thomas and Mary] and the date 1600 on the tympanum. Brick chimney breast on
the south wall. The house contains a staircase of 1600 circa and contemporary
panelling and stone fireplaces. Modern L-wing in matching style to the south-west.
The house was occupied in the early C18 by General Sir William Shirley who
was Governor of Massachusetts, New England, and of the Bahama Islands, and
from 1761 onwards by Selina Countess of Huntingdon who fitted up a room in
the house as a Chapel and whose Chaplain, the Rev W Romaine, constantly preached
Articles in the Sussex Archaeological Collections Volume 19, p 61 and Volume
34, p 255.
Listing NGR: TQ3312120282
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings