This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7187 / 50°43'7"N
Longitude: -3.531 / 3°31'51"W
OS Eastings: 292019
OS Northings: 92129
OS Grid: SX920921
Mapcode National: GBR P0.QCWQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H5.N7N
Plus Code: 9C2RPF99+FJ
Entry Name: Quay House (Premises of the Diy Supplies Exeter Limited)
Listing Date: 18 June 1974
Last Amended: 30 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1223072
English Heritage Legacy ID: 418586
Location: St. David's, Exeter, Devon, EX2
Electoral Ward/Division: St David's
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exeter St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Tagged with: Building
SX 9292 SW6/1113 Premises of the DIY
supplies Exeter Ltd
Amend the item description and upgrade to I to read;
1092 THE QUAY
SX 9292 SW6/1113 QUAY HOUSE
(Premises of the DIY
I GV supplies Exeter Ltd)
Transit shed on former dockside. 1679-80. The end and rear walls up to the first floor
level are stone rubble,above which the walls are of locally made red brick in random
bonding. The front has an open timber arcade over which there is a cantilevered canopy
underbuilt in red brick in late C19 or early C20. Welsh slate roof with hipped left
hand end and the end to right incorporated into the adjoining building, Prospect Inn.
Plan: almost rectangular on plan, about 100' long and 20' deep, slightly deeper at the
left end. Originally 10 bays open-fronted on the ground storey with an arcade of
timber posts on which the main cross-beams are cantilevered out to support the
projecting first floor over which the main roof is carried down as a canopy over the
dock in front. The cantilevered beams may not have supported a floor under the canopy
originally, allowing goods to be transferred directly from the first floor to lighters
in the dock below. In the left hand end wall there is an 8' wide doorway on the ground
floor to the quay. Both ground and first floors were originally not partitioned but
in circa 1700 some partitions were inserted on the first floor. The ground behind is
higher, almost up to first floor level. The right hand 3 bays are now incorporated
into the adjoining Prospect Inn.
2 storeys: The original open front (now set back inside) has 10 wide bays with
unstopped ovolo-moulded arcade posts, the moulding continued on the lintels. Over
the arcade there is a deep canopy carried on the main cross-beams which are
cantilevered forward and have chamfers with scroll stops, and joists supporting the
floor above; the floor may be a later insertion. The dock below has been filled in
and the canopy is entirely underbuilt with a late C19 or C20 red brick front wall
enclosing the original open front; the right end of which is concealed behind and
incorporated in the Prospect Inn. This front wall has 5 small 4-light segmental arched
windows and 3 doorways.
Interior: the original roof is intact; it has soft wood principal rafters morticed and
pegged at the apex, the collars halved pegged and nailed to the faces of the principals.
The original trenched purlins are intact. The principal rafters are straight and set
into the upper courses of the rear wall but at the front they are carried down over
upper wall posts to form a deep canopy which is supported on the main floor cross-beams
carried forward over the arcade; the cross-beams are chamfered with scroll stops and
their joists are unchamfered. On the first floor there are boarded stud partitions
inserted in circa 1700, a flight of stairs at the front and a doorway at the left hand
end giving access to the first floor.
The transit shed stands on a quay wall which is now underground because the dock has
been filled in. Recent excavations have revealed the stone quay wall of about 3.2 metres
high on oak foundation piles. It is suggested the quay may have been built in 1565-6
at the same time as Exeter Canal. The dock was filled in about 1700 when the transit
shed was subdivided into separate stores.
The transit shed originally served as a covered quay and the upper floor was probably
used for temporary storage of goods delayed in transit. A C17 transit shed-warehouse
like this built on a public quay may be unique in Britain.
Source: Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit.
Premises of the DIY Supplies
SX 9292 SW 6/1113
C19. Long low shed. Red brick, slate roof. Included for its great group importance.
All the listed buildings on the Quay form a group.
Listing NGR: SX9201992129
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings