History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Marsh Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Burgh le Marsh, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.153 / 53°9'10"N

Longitude: 0.2814 / 0°16'52"E

OS Eastings: 552652

OS Northings: 364188

OS Grid: TF526641

Mapcode National: GBR LXD.CY9

Mapcode Global: WHJM7.907P

Entry Name: Old Marsh Chapel

Listing Date: 5 April 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223096

English Heritage Legacy ID: 418566

Location: Burgh Le Marsh, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE24

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Burgh le Marsh

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Burgh le Marsh St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Burgh le Marsh

Listing Text

BURGH LE MARSH MIDDLEMARSH ROAD
TF 56 SW
(north side)
5/24
Old Marsh Chapel
5.4.83
II

Mission chapel with schoolroom below. 1865-7, restored 1884.
Red brick with ashlar dressings. Pantile roof with stone coped
gables; the east gable with cross finial; the west gable with
gabled bellcote with single pointed opening and cross finial.
Plinth and 4 dentillated bands, the upper bands running under
eaves of north and south fronts. 2 storeys, 3 bay south front
with slightly projecting gabled doorway to left with higher
plinth, pointed inner doorway with alternating brick and ashlar
voussoirs, plank door. 2 rectangular 3 light mullion windows to
the right with flush ashlar quoined surrounds. Above a 3 light
mullion window is flanked by single light windows, that to the
right with a cinquefoil cusped head; all with flush ashlar
quoined surrounds. In right hand bay, between the 2 storeys is a
band of diamond relief diaper work. East end with 3 light
mullion window with flush ashlar quoined surround. Diamond
relief diaper work above with round window in gable containing
quatrefoil and with alternating brick and ashlar voussoirs. West
front with 2 ashlar dressed rectangular lights. Pointed window
above with 3 pointed lights. Founded by W. G. Tozer, Bishop of
Zanzibar, Jamaica and Honduras.


Listing NGR: TF5265264188

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.