This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7454 / 51°44'43"N
Longitude: -2.2354 / 2°14'7"W
OS Eastings: 383846
OS Northings: 205217
OS Grid: SO838052
Mapcode National: GBR 1MJ.KNJ
Mapcode Global: VH94Y.6DL9
Plus Code: 9C3VPQW7+5V
Entry Name: Marling School
Listing Date: 30 July 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1223565
English Heritage Legacy ID: 419319
Location: Stroud, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5
Civil Parish: Stroud
Built-Up Area: Stroud
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cainscross St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
STROUD CAINSCROSS ROAD
SO 8305 SE
14/571 Marling School
School. 1889-94 by W H Seth-Smith; founded in 1887 by Sir Samuel Marling,
a local clothmaker. Limestone ashlar. Stone tile roofs with coped gable
ends. Ashlar gable end, lateral and axial stacks with moulded cornices.
The plan comprises the great hall on left (west) with row of classrooms
on either side and masters' room and entrance on south end; linked by a
long cloister to the headmaster's house on right, which also contains
dining room, kitchen and dormitories etc. Jacobean and Wrenaissance
styles. The great hall on left (west) has large stone mullion window on
south gable with shaft above rising into stack at apex. Below the window
a small single storey office with pyramidal roof, arms and motto in
parapet and round arch doorway set back on right. On either side of hall
gabled single storey classrooms with large stone mullion windows raised
at centres. Behind the classrooms on each side of hall 2 large lateral
stacks with moulded volutes and 2 shafts with arched link at top. Large
wooden bell-turret on ridge with finials on corners and copper-clad ogee
cupola with tall weathervane. Low cloister on right (east) with leaded
timber windows on stone plinth and stone tile roof, linking hall with
headmaster's house on right; this is a 2 storey and attic block with
asymmetrical gables to front and entrance on right side with gabled porch
and plainer dormitory wing at rear (north); all stone mullion windows.
Interior: Great hall has gallery at north end on corbel brackets, dias at
south end, ornate hammer and tie-beam roof and dado panelling. The
flanking classrooms (now library) have vaulted plaster ceilings. The
headmaster's house with simple Jacobean style open-well stairs, dining
room, kitchen and dormitories are now used as sixth form rooms. Sources:
The Building News 10/1/1890; The Builder 3/5/1896; Kelly's Directory of
Listing NGR: SO8384605217
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings