History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Scapegoat Hill Baptist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Huddersfield, Kirklees

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6455 / 53°38'43"N

Longitude: -1.8687 / 1°52'7"W

OS Eastings: 408776

OS Northings: 416565

OS Grid: SE087165

Mapcode National: GBR HVD8.7X

Mapcode Global: WHCB0.8MDM

Entry Name: Scapegoat Hill Baptist Church

Listing Date: 11 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223858

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419509

Location: Kirklees, HD7

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Colne Valley

Built-Up Area: Huddersfield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Golcar St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Moorside Edge

Listing Text

SE Ol NE SCHOOL ROAD
Scapegoat Hill
2/407 Golcar

- Scapegoat Hill
Baptist Church

GV II

1899 (datestone). Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings and quoins.
Pitched blue slate roof. Coped gables with finial to south. Carved footstones.
Stone brackets on string course. 2 storeys. South elevation: facade is divided
into 3 bays by 2 coursed stone piers which rise to gable and are surmounted
by moulded ashlar copings with large ball and stalk finial. Ground floor;
central doorway with ashlar pilasters and architrave. 2 fanlights with ashlar
surround and rounded heads. Above fanlights is frieze and pediment. To each
side of door is small single light with rounded head. Outer bays each have
single light with quoins and head with rounded reveal and small cornice above.
First floor; large central Venetian window with moulded ashlar hood with carved
keystone to central light. Single light with pediment over to each side.
Gable. apex: central part in ashlar with 3 string courses. Inscription reads:
SCAPEGOAT HILL
BAPTIST CHURCH
ERECTED AD 1899
Above is decorated carved ashlar pediment with scrolls and 2 'fielded' panels.
Ball and stalk finial. West elevation: six single lights to each floor, with
segmental arched heads and pronounced sills. East elevation: as west, with
five single lights and entrance at basement level. Interior: Continuous gallery
with panelled front supported on slender iron columns. Carved pulpit up twin
flights of steps. Organ and choir to front end of gallery.


Listing NGR: SE0877616565

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.