History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Eaton, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2939 / 53°17'38"N

Longitude: -0.9359 / 0°56'9"W

OS Eastings: 471021

OS Northings: 377970

OS Grid: SK710779

Mapcode National: GBR PZXB.5X

Mapcode Global: WHFGG.LGJN

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223917

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419831

Location: Eaton, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Eaton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Eaton and Gamston

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
East Retford

Listing Text

SK 77 NW EATON MAIN STREET
(south side)

3/37 Church of
All Saints
1.2.67
G.V. II

Parish church. Rebuilt 1860 by G. Shaw of Manchester for H.
Bridgeman Simpson of Babworth Hall. Steetley stone. Tile roofs
with coped gables. Bell turret to nave ridge with open wooden
traceried cusped panels and pointed roof. Buttressed and set on
a chamfered plinth. Nave, north porch, chancel and south vestry.
The west end has a single pointed arched window with 3 cusped
lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north wall has
a single 2 light arched window with cusped tracery, hood mould
and label stops. To the left is the porch with moulded arched
entrance with single cusped lancet above and single cusped
lancets to the east and west walls. The inner doorway has a
pointed chamfered arch. Left of the porch are 2 arched windows
both with 2 lights and differing cusped tracery, hood mould and
label stops. The north chancel has 2 windows each with a single
arched and cusped light surmounted by a single trefoil. To the
left is an arched doorway and further left a single pair of
pointed arched and cusped lights. The east chancel has a single
arched 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label
stops. The south chancel has a pair of pointed, arched and
cusped lights. The east wall of the south vestry has a chamfered
arched doorway. The south wall has 2 cusped lancets. To the
left of the vestry is a single arched window with 2 cusped lights
sumounted by a single quatrefoil, a single pair of arched and
cusped lights, a single arched window with 2 arched and cusped
lights surmounted by a single circle and further left a single
pair of arched and cusped lights. Interior. Moulded chancel
arch. In the south chancel wall is a C15 cusped, ogee arched
piscina with crocketed hood mould and finial. The base is
decorated with stylised heads and flowers, springing from either
side, and terminating in the embattled head, are decorative
strip pilasters. The C19 octagonal font is decorated with blind
traceried round panels. The remaining furniture is C19. A
pointed chamfered arched doorway leads to the south vestry which
contains a fine monument to John, Elizabeth and Francis Stringer
1726. The open segmental pediment is decorated with a single
central plain cartouche and 2 angel heads. On the apron is a
decorative cartouche.


Listing NGR: SK7102177970

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.