History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burford, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8083 / 51°48'29"N

Longitude: -1.6362 / 1°38'10"W

OS Eastings: 425180

OS Northings: 212242

OS Grid: SP251122

Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.M4F

Mapcode Global: VHBZS.LTC5

Entry Name: Methodist Church

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 1 March 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223964

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419756

Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Burford

Built-Up Area: Burford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Burford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Burford

Listing Text

BURFORD AND UPTON HIGH STREET
AND SIGNET (East Side)
SP2512 (Enlargement) Methodist Church
7/71 (formerly listed as
12.9.55 Wesleyan Chapel)

GV II*


Non-conformist chapel, formerly town mansion. c.1720-30 for a member of
the Jordan family, converted c.1849. Ashlar, slate roof with coped
verges. Local baroque style. 2 storeys and basement. Channelled
rusticated above basement, fluted and reeded pilasters dividing the front
into 5 bays, full entablature and balustraded parapet over. Glazing bar
sashes (1849 or C20) below struck voussoirs. 1st floor windows have
shaped aprons below, segment-headed basement windows with keys. Central
Gibbsian surround doorpiece with pulvinated frieze and pertinent; C20
panelled doors; transom light; 5 steps up to door, bridging over basement
door (bolection surround) which is approached by curved flights of steps
from the forecourt. To rear 7 close-spaced segment headed windows with
flat raised quoins; the south side has wide part-blocked segmental entry.
The rear doorway within the present stair lobby has pulvinated frieze and
keystone. The rear basement has 3 hollow chamfered mullion windows. The
interior was gutted for the Chapel in 1849. This was redesigned in 1949
has Thomas Rayson of Oxford with inspiration from St Stephen's Wallbrook -
4 Corinthian columns support a ciborium with chandelier. Up to 1849 large
vases capped the parapet and the railings to the front steps (bought for
Cornbury Park by Lord Churchill).


Listing NGR: SP2518012242

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.