This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6001 / 50°36'0"N
Longitude: -1.1853 / 1°11'7"W
OS Eastings: 457755
OS Northings: 78136
OS Grid: SZ577781
Mapcode National: GBR 9F5.74X
Mapcode Global: FRA 87DH.41L
Entry Name: East Dene
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224413
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420479
Location: Ventnor, Isle of Wight, PO38
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Ventnor
Built-Up Area: Ventnor
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Bonchurch St Boniface
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/02/2016
SZ 5778 1/15
BONCHURCH VILLAGE ROAD (North Side),
(Formerly listed as East Dene (Workers Travel Association Guest House))
Built circa 1825-30 for Mr Surman to the designs of a Mr Beazley. One of the early Undercliff Tudor-Gothic houses. In 1837 it was taken on a lease by Admiral Charles Henry Swinburne, the father of Algernon Swinburne who had been born earlier that year. East Dene was Swinburne's childhood house, where some of his earliest poetry was written. He is buried with other members of his family in St Boniface's Churchyard. The house is of 2 storeys rough dressed stone with steep pitch slate roof. Main front to south; 6 windows, mullioned casements, 2 gables with kneelers, one surmounted by round chimney pot, the other by a finial. Projecting window bays below gables, that to east with buttresses and canted bay on ground floor. 3 oriel windows on 1st floor. The west or entrance front is of 5 windows. 3 gables with ornamental bargeboards, projecting window bays below. The section between the centre and the northernmost projection is jettied with corbel brackets of stone. 2 canted bay windows ground floor. Parapeted porch. The interior is in a quite successful imitation Tudor style. There is a glazed link walk-way down to the former stable block, now the Annexe.
Listing NGR: SZ5775578136
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings