This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5097 / 51°30'34"N
Longitude: -0.142 / 0°8'31"W
OS Eastings: 529039
OS Northings: 180610
OS Grid: TQ290806
Mapcode National: GBR DD.9Z
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.HB90
Entry Name: 175 and 176, New Bond Street W1
Listing Date: 1 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224555
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420649
Location: Westminster, London, W1S
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 NW NEW BOND STREET W1
1900/70/64 Nos 175 and 176
Originally commercial premises on the site of a hotel, later grand jewellers' premises. Built between 1874 and 1883 on the site of the Former Clarendon Hotel, which was partially demolished in 1874, but refronted 1883-4 by john Mackland and Theophilus Allen in Italianate Renaissance style. Some internal alterations by Mewes and Davis between 1922 and 1930 and also refurbished 1980s.
EXTERIOR: Richly detailed Italianate-Renaissance elevation. Stone faced, mansard slate roof. 4 storeys and dormered attic; 4 windows. Ornate polished red granite shop front, with gilt Ionic capitals to pilasters, gilt triglyphs to frieze and pediment enriched with figure of Pallas Athene reclining with shield and her emblem an owl. Upper floors framed by channelling; the 1st and 2nd floor windows with enriched archivolts grouped and recessed in engaged Corinthian columned loggias with bowed balustrades on 1st floor and straight-balustrades to 2nd floor; 3rd floor windows pedimented. Enriched string courses and bold crowning entablature; the attic storey with segmental pedimented stone dormers.
INTERIOR: Main staircase could predate refronting of 1883-4 and is a handsome oak structure with turned balusters, elaborate newel posts with ball finials, strapwork panelling to underside and dado panelling. Ground floor has rear High jewellery Showroom (formerly Louis XVI Rooms) refurbished by Mewes and Davis with full-height panelling with curved corners, panels of swags and C19 marble fireplace. The front Main Display Area, also by Mewes and Davis, has a splayed corner with oval mirror with swags, two round-headed alcoves with fanlights, fluted Ionic columns and panelling with rosettes but retains earlier plaster cornice with martial achievements. Other ground floor rooms including Boutique were refitted in the 1980s. First Floor has Board Room with c1880 features including elaborate coved plaster cornice, doorcase with open pediment with urn and reeded pilasters and another with cornice, console brackets and mirrored door and square alcove with Ionic pilasters. Managing Director's Office has similar coved plaster cornice, dado panelling and marble fireplace with shell firegrate. The secretary's room also has a coved plaster cornice. SecQnd floor retains a cornice of c1880 but otherwise the upper floors were refurbished in the 1980s.
HISTORY: This building has been occupied by the firm of Cartier since 1909, the firm having occupied other premises in London since c1871 during the Paris Communes. Between June and August 1940, General De Gaulle and the Free French were allocated offices here before the British Government made offices available to them at 4 Carlton Gardens and some important wartime meetings took place in the Board Room.
The previous list entry read:
TQ 2880 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER NEW BOND STREET W1
70/64 (West side)
Nos 175 and 176
Grand jewellers' premises with original shop front c. 1880-90.
Stone faced, slate roof. Richly detailed Italianate-Renaissance
elevation. 4 storeys and dormered attic. 4 windows wide. Ornate
polished red granite shop front, with colonetted windows and doorway
in pilaster frame, the entablature surmounted above each bay by
enriched pediment and carved spandrels to window arches. Upper
floors framed by channelling; the 1st and 2nd floor windows with
enriched archivolts grouped and recessed in engaged Corinthian
columned loggias with bowed balustrades on 1st floor and straight.
balustrades to 2nd floor; 3rd floor windows pedimented. Enriched
string courses and bold crowning entablature; the attic storey with
segmental pedimented stone dormers. Included for group interest
and as a particularly ornate commercial design.
Listing NGR: TQ2903980610
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings