This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8277 / 51°49'39"N
Longitude: 0.7258 / 0°43'32"E
OS Eastings: 587929
OS Northings: 217852
OS Grid: TL879178
Mapcode National: GBR QL1.B9S
Mapcode Global: VHKG8.JBK7
Plus Code: 9F32RPHG+38
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints (Inworth)
Listing Date: 7 April 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224592
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420712
Location: Messing-cum-Inworth, Colchester, Essex, CO5
Civil Parish: Messing-cum-Inworth
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Inworth All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
MESSING-CUM-INWORTH KELVEDON ROAD
Parish Church of All Saints
TL 81 NE 15/23 7.4.65 (Inworth)
Early C11 and later, of carved flint-rubble, puddings tone, freestone and Roman
brick. Brick and limestone dressings. Nave and chancel roof in red plain
tile. Tower in red brick, with diagonal buttresses and staircase tower on
north side, built in 1876. Chancel is basically C11, but was lengthened, with
a new east wall in C14. East window is circa 1876. North wall there is a
C11 window of one round headed light with double splays. South wall has matching
C11 window, flanked by 2, C14 windows, each of 2 cinquefoiled lights with tracery
in a 2 centred head. Circa 1876 south doorway. C11 chancel arch, semi-circular,
of square arches on west side. Flanking the arch are 2 squints, northern of
which has 2 centred head probably C13, southern modern. C11 nave with C15
and Cl9 alterations. North wall has 2 windows one of C15, of 2 cinquefoiled
lights in a square head with a moulded label. West window of circa 1876.
Two windows in south wall, are early C16 in brick, of 3 plain lights in four
centred head with a moulded label, the other is circa 1876. Adjacent to the
south door are the splays and round head of a Cll window. South door is early
C16, with double, chamfered jambs, and segmental pointed arch of brick. Nave
roof is C14, 7 cants with moulded ashlar plates, cambered tie beams and crown
posts with moulded bases and capitals. South porch is gabled in red brick,
with red plain tile roof, all of circa 1876. Some early C16 timber re-used
in roof including moulded wall plates. Some C14 and C15 glass. C12 wall paintings
in nave, east wall, part decorative but also with figures including a bishop.
Late C15 screen, and late C15 carved bench.
Listing NGR: TL8792917852
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings