This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7354 / 50°44'7"N
Longitude: -3.4681 / 3°28'5"W
OS Eastings: 296495
OS Northings: 93896
OS Grid: SX964938
Mapcode National: GBR P2.F4YB
Mapcode Global: FRA 37M4.GQC
Plus Code: 9C2RPGPJ+5Q
Entry Name: Monkerton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 31 August 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224612
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420730
Location: Pinhoe, Exeter, Devon, EX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Pinhoe
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Pinhoe St Michael All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Tagged with: Farmhouse
EXETER PINN LANE
SX 99 SE
25/10016 Monkerton Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Late C17, possibly a remodelling of earlier building. Later phases of alteration are
c.1720s and late C19/early C20. Roughcast mass wall construction with some handmade brick
walling in Flemish bond and a rear wing added between 1888 and 1903 (OS maps) in stretcher bond
brick. Slate roof, half-hipped at W end of main range and hipped at the E end; stacks with brick
shafts. PLAN: Overall U-plan, the E end onto Pinn Lane. The internal plan has been very altered
wioth numerous new partitions inserted, but the core is a 3-room and through pasage plan to the
main range, which faces S, with two rooms to the W and one to the E of the entrance. The position
of the late C17 or early C18 kitchen is not clear. A rear wing to the E might be an addition and
seems to have contained the 1720s parlour on the ground floor, heated from a N end stack. The
position of the original stair is unclear, the present stair being at the N end of the building. Late C19
stair wing. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic cellar under the E end. Asymmetrical 5-window front
with a front door to the former through passage to E of centre. The front door is late C19/early C20
but preserves an early C18 deep horizontal porch hood on shaped timber brackets with a lead roof.
A second door has been knocked through the front wall to W of centre with a half-glazed c.1900
front door. All the casements have been reglazed with mid C20 metal windows in original openings.
The main stack, backing onto passage, has an old brick shaft with multiple flues, the upper courses
rebuilt. The W end wall fo the main range is local red brick with blue headers. Segmental-headed
3-light casement. The brickwork on this wall has been hacked back in a toothed arrangement to
accomodate the later rear wing, but appears to have extended further to the N at one time. The rear
(N) elevation has a single-storey lean-to between the wings. The late C19 wing has 4-pane sashes,
some replaced with metal casements. INTERIOR: many features, including fireplaces, are concealed
at present. The former hall, now subdivided, has what appears to be an ovolo-moulded cross beam.
This is painted but is not boxed in. The lower end room at the E end has an exposed crossbeam and
a plaster cornice that shows some evidence of being decorated below layers of paint. The rear E
room, now subdivided, was a an early C18 parlour with cornice. Other early C18 panelled doors
and panelled window seat above parlour. One of steps to cellar is an ovolo-moulded stone, re-used
from a C17 building. Late C17/early C18 A-frame trusses to main range, pegged and halved at apex,
the collar joints concealed by later plaster.
One of group of smallholdings and market gardens that were bought by the County Council in
this area in 1911 (information from the tenant).
Listing NGR: SX9649593896
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings