This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8368 / 51°50'12"N
Longitude: 0.7518 / 0°45'6"E
OS Eastings: 589685
OS Northings: 218930
OS Grid: TL896189
Mapcode National: GBR RM6.YQ2
Mapcode Global: VHKG8.Z3B8
Entry Name: Church of All Saints (Messing)
Listing Date: 7 April 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224665
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420792
Location: Messing-cum-Inworth, Colchester, Essex, CO5
Civil Parish: Messing-cum-Inworth
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Messing All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
MESSING-CUM-INWORTH THE STREET (Messing)
Church of All Saints
TL 81 NE 15/13 7.4.65
C13 and later, in stone rubble, conglomerate, and Roman brick. Limestone dressings, red plain tile roof. Circa 1840 west tower, 3 tiers, in red brick with stone dressings and buttresses. Circa 1840 south chapel and vestry in red brick, with red plain tile roof. C14 nave, extensively restored in C19. All windows are now C19, but in C14 style. Remains of C14 north doorway with moulded reveals. South wall completely refaced. Nave roof is C15, of 6 bays, 7 cants, on moulded ashlar plates. Principal rafters, arch braced to collars, with carved angels with shields at foot. Apex of principals is a flowered boss. Against the east wall is a hammer beam truss, with carved angels at the ends of the hammer beams. C13 chancel with C17 east window, of 3 lights with tracery in 2 central head. Mid C14 window in north and matching window in south walls with 2 ogee lights and tracery in a 2 centred head. C13 lancet window now blocked. Early C16 brick doorway, with chamfered jambs, and 4 centred arch, in square head also now blocked. C13 iron bound chest, with 3 locks and 2 lids. C17 oak panelling in chancel with Corinthian pilasters, entablature, dentilled cornice and frieze with cherub heads. Panels contain an oval with carved spandrels. Design follows through integral stalls. Royal Arms, dated 1634, now in south chapel, chancel paving of C17 black and white marble, with inscription (RCHM 1).
Listing NGR: TL8968518930
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings