This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9456 / 51°56'44"N
Longitude: -0.2751 / 0°16'30"W
OS Eastings: 518651
OS Northings: 228860
OS Grid: TL186288
Mapcode National: GBR H5W.WTP
Mapcode Global: VHGNS.5CXC
Plus Code: 9C3XWPWF+6W
Entry Name: North Eastern Block of Buildings at the British Schools
Listing Date: 6 June 1975
Last Amended: 4 June 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224711
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420840
Location: North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
Electoral Ward/Division: Hitchin Highbury
Built-Up Area: Hitchin
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hitchin
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 1828 NE QUEEN STREET
834/3/337 North-eastern block of
6.6.1975 buildings at the British School
Former boys school, comprising 3 classrooms and attached outbuildings. 1837, 1853 and earlier, with early C20 alterations and additions. Red brick, laid to Flemish bond, with Welsh slate roof coverings.
FRONT: Single storeyed, 6-bay aisled schoolroom of 1837 on east-west axis with early C20 6 bay schoolroom built along its south side, projecting slightly westwards, and with lean-to porch in the angle of the 2 ranges. At its north-west corner, schoolroom of 1853 with side lean-to and C20 outbuildings extending west wards at its western end. 1837 part with a large boarded-up window at each end, the openings set beneath gauged brick arches, and pedimented gables, each with an occulus. Blocked gauged brick arched window openings to aisles on western end, and at eastern end on left, steps lead to a 6-panel double door. To the right a re-set date stone which reads 'WW 1810'. Clerestorey with continuous 12 pane windows. Early C20 block has 3, 8-pane sashes and a gable occulus at western end, and 4, 2-light windows with 8-pane sashes to right return. The 1853 schoolroom has a door at each end on south side and a hipped roof with lateral chimneys to north side and a lantern incorporating continuous glazing comprised of 6-pane lights.
INTERIOR: 1853 part with 5 stepped floor, a small hearth to the north wall, a 6-panel double door and arch-braced tie beam trusses.
HISTORY: The school was originally founded in 1810 by William Wiltshire, a Hitchin lawyer. The 1837 schoolroom, designed for 300 pupils, was built according to then principles of Joseph Lancaster, founder of the British and Foreign School Movement, and based upon the monitorial system of teaching. The 1853 schoolroom is a rare surviving example of a galleried classroom, built according to the recommendations of Matthew Arnold.
Listing NGR: TL1865128860
Other nearby listed buildings