History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Albright

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stanway, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8836 / 51°53'1"N

Longitude: 0.818 / 0°49'4"E

OS Eastings: 594039

OS Northings: 224318

OS Grid: TL940243

Mapcode National: GBR RLQ.X6Y

Mapcode Global: VHKFY.4X8C

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Albright

Listing Date: 7 April 1965

Last Amended: 27 January 1982

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1224899

English Heritage Legacy ID: 421080

Location: Stanway, Colchester, Essex, CO3

County: Essex

District: Colchester

Civil Parish: Stanway

Built-Up Area: Colchester

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stanway St Albright

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Birch

Listing Text

STANWAY LONDON ROAD
1.
5214
(south side)
Parish church of
St Albright
(formerly listed as
TL 92 SW 11/57 Church of St Ethelberts)
7.4.65
II*
2.
C12 and later, with extensive alterations by Gilbert Scott in circa 1880. Nave
is early C12, and retains part of its original roof with scissor-bracing and
notched lap joists. C12 windows in north wall, both single light with Roman
brick jambs and round stone head. Mid C14 window with 2 cinquefoiled lights
with uatrefoil in 2 centred head with moulded label, and head stops, C15 window
with 2 cinquefoiled lights in 2 centred head. South wall has one C12 window
and C12 doorway, with round arch of Roman brick. West wall has Roman brick
quoins and C14 window, much restored. Restored C12 window above. Chancel
added in 1826 and restored in circa 1880, when south aisle, south chapel and,
it is said, the bell-turret were added. South arcade of circa 1500 from St
Rumwald's Church. Colchester, North porch is C15 with 4 braced crown post on
cambered tie-beam with hollow chamfers. Octagonal perpendicular font, with
panels with shields and with chalice and the host surrounded by rays. East
window by Kempe, 1892. Red plain tile roof. (RCHM 2).


Listing NGR: TL9403924318

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.