This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.023 / 52°1'22"N
Longitude: -2.9378 / 2°56'16"W
OS Eastings: 335745
OS Northings: 236477
OS Grid: SO357364
Mapcode National: GBR F8.GRX5
Mapcode Global: VH789.1F71
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224950
English Heritage Legacy ID: 421158
Location: Turnastone, County of Herefordshire, HR2
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Turnastone
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Turnastone
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 33 NE TURNASTONE CP -
3/l17 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Probably C12 origins with substantial C13 and C15 work.
Finely coursed, partly snecked sandstone rubble, plain tiled roofs, timber-
framing, weatherboards to bell turret. Three-bay nave and 2-bay chancel
under continuous roof, south porch. Above off-set at west end of nave is
short timber-framed weatherboarded bell turret with louvres to each face
except the east, and pyramidical tiled roof. Two-bay nave with late C13
trefoiled single light window to east of south porch; chancel has similar
but restored windows, either side of C15 priests' door which is under
4-centred head. East window probably altered C13 is square-head, chamfered
and of 2 lights. Two more trefoiled 2-light windows to north wall of the
chancel, the east one restored. Eastern window of north wall of have is
another un-restored C13 trefoiled single light; north-west window has wide
C13 pointed light on site of blocked north door. West window of nave has
chamfered, square-headed single light. Timber-framed south porch, possibly
C15 origins, heavily restored in early C20: middle truss has arch-braces
to collar joining in ogee, front and rear trusses have braced posts, raking-
struts above tie-beams decorated with ogees; walls above side benches reflect
local plank and muntin tradition, 2 glazed trefoils to either side. C12
semi-circular headed south doorway has horizontally fluted capitals.
Interior: slight break in bonding and alignment between nave and chancel,
ceiled wagon roof, embattled wall-plates, tie-beam marking liturgical division
between nave and chancel corresponds with break in wall-plates. To right of
altar chamfered inverted pyramidical corbel acts as shelf, C13 trefoil-headed
piscina, oak C17 (?) arm chair with fluted legs, stretchers and back.
Incomplete late C17 altar rails with only 8 bobbin balusters surviving in
2 parts. Late C19 harmonium by Estery Organ Co, Brattleboro, Vermont, USA:
4 catafalque-shaped, enriched lamp bases and carrying handles. North wall
of chancel has incised marble slab to Thomas (died 1522) and Anges Ap Harry:
2 supine praying figures, the male one in armour. Nave has mid-C20 limestone
4-centred arch forming portal to base of bell turret. Font: plain red marble
circular basin, perhaps C13, on early C20 columnar stem and circular base.
Pulpit is early C17, 5 panels of octagon each divided into 2 superimposed
panels, acanthus decoration above, moulded top, base and feet. On the south
wall, monument to John Roberts, died 1767, incised plaque with acorns and
birds above surround. On the north wall, monument to Mary Traunter, died
1685, aged 18, daughter of Nicholas Philpot of Poston, Vowchurch (qv):
Baroque aedicule supported by a cherub, barley-sugar Corinthian columns
under broken voluted pediment, arms in break, female mourners on each
slope of pediment (RCHM, Vol I).
Listing NGR: SO3574536477
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings