This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2655 / 54°15'55"N
Longitude: -3.0479 / 3°2'52"W
OS Eastings: 331847
OS Northings: 486049
OS Grid: SD318860
Mapcode National: GBR 7M43.YP
Mapcode Global: WH834.41XS
Plus Code: 9C6R7X82+6V
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 25 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224965
English Heritage Legacy ID: 421185
Location: Colton, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Colton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Colton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 38 NW
25.3.70 Church of Holy
Church. 1578, tower early C17, transept 1721, vestry 1762, restored 1890.
Roughcast stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Single-vessel nave and
chancel of 5 bays, north transept and west tower with lean-to north vestry.
Varied straight-headed mullioned windows, some replacements for wood frames.
South facade has single-chamfered-mullioned window of 3 segmental-headed lights
over gabled porch, originally to light gallery (removed); next 2 bays have
windows with Tudor-headed lights; chancel has blocked hollow-chamfered arched
entrance with tombstone of 1831, window of 2 cusped lights. North facade of
nave has window of 2 segmental headed lights, one of 2 Tudor-headed lights and
one of 3 Tudor-headed lights with upper window of 2 segmental-headed lights over
small entrance. Transept has double-chamfered-mullioned windows of 3 segmental-
headed lights to east and west, to north a window of 3 cusped lights, all with
label moulds. Chancel has single cusped light to north, and 4-light cusped
window to east under label mould. Tower has embattled parapet with
2 waterspouts to west. Small square west window with one of 2 round-headed
lights over; plain straight-headed bell openings with stone louvres. Vestry has
window of 2 segmental-headed lights. Interior: Roof trusses have 2 collars.
West wall has painted text "DRAW NIGH UNTO GOD", long-case wall clock dated 1829
and George III arms. Plain font probably C16 but retooled. Transept has wall
tablet to James Machell (died 1775) with scrolls, obelisk, urn and armorial
bearing. Chancel has fittings of 1890 and communion rail with turned balusters,
probably early C17. 4 windows with good early C20 stained glass to south side
of church and one to north side.
Listing NGR: SD3184786049
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings