This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6318 / 53°37'54"N
Longitude: -1.7469 / 1°44'48"W
OS Eastings: 416833
OS Northings: 415058
OS Grid: SE168150
Mapcode National: GBR JV7F.LV
Mapcode Global: WHCB2.4ZD5
Entry Name: Church of All Hallows
Listing Date: 3 March 1952
Last Amended: 29 September 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 421011
Location: Kirklees, HD5
Electoral Ward/Division: Almondbury
Built-Up Area: Huddersfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Almondbury with Farnley Tyas Team Parish
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS
(Formerly listed as:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS ALMONDBURY)
Chancel C13. Flanking chapels C14 (lengthened in C19). West tower apparently
C15, possibly the result of an indulgence of 1485 for the repair of the church.
Nave and aisles could also be the result of the 1485 indulgence, but the windows
appear to be early C16, and the nave roof is dated 1522 (battlements and pinnacles 1872-7). South porch C19. Hammer dressed stone and ashlar. Pitched stone slate roofs, aisle roofs lean-to. Chancel has north and south lancets, externally obscured by the C19 extensions of the flanking chapels. 3 east windows, the flanking ones round-arched with elementary bar tracery, the central one now of 3-lights with cusped Perpendicular tracery, but originally 3 stepped lancets with relieving arch. Clerestory and aisles windows both of 3 lights each, with uninterrupted mullions, and cusped 2-centred arched lights, the clerestory windows oblong, the aisle windows with 3-centred heads and hoodmoulds. Tower has diagonal buttresses with many set-offs and gargoyles at top. Crenellated parapet. Crocketed pinnacles. West door in deeply moulded 2-centred arch. 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery, in 2-centred arch with hoodmould. Large 3-light bell openings in 2-centred openings with hoodmould. Interior. Nave has 5-bay arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and moulded voussoirs. Double chamfered tower arch dying into imposts. Double chamfered chancel arch on moulded capitals. Chancel has 2-bay arcade to north, with double chamfered voussoirs and moulded corbels. 3-bay arcade to south, its capitals decorated with Tudor roses and fleurs-de-lys. Nave has particularly fine timber calling with an inscription running all round cornice, which names Geferay Daystre as the joiner, and 1522 as the date: shallow pitch, all beams moulded and bosses elaborately ornamented. Chancel has hammer-beam roof, apparently C19.
Good Perpendicular timber traceried screen to north chapel. Outstanding C17
joinery font cover (cf Bradford and Halifax) Gothic Survival tracery and 3
tiers of perforated canopies. Good C15 stained glass in east window and in
north chapel, restored (and possibly re-set) by the 5th Earl of Dartmouth in
1879. Fenay Family pew 1605. Early C18 gilded eagle lectern. Various monuments, of which the best are to Matthew Wentworth of Bretton (d 1574) (slab incised with figure in armour), William Lister of Thornton-in-Craven (d 1701) (lively Baroque cartouche), and Sir Arhur Kaye of Woodsome Hall (d 1726) (upright architectural composition).
Listing NGR: SE1683415061
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings