This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9185 / 51°55'6"N
Longitude: 0.8473 / 0°50'50"E
OS Eastings: 595907
OS Northings: 228276
OS Grid: TL959282
Mapcode National: GBR RLC.R1N
Mapcode Global: VHKFY.M1TL
Entry Name: High Trees Farmhouse
Listing Date: 23 June 1952
Last Amended: 16 March 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225133
English Heritage Legacy ID: 421395
Location: West Bergholt, Colchester, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: West Bergholt
Built-Up Area: West Bergholt
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: West Bergholt St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/10/2012
TL 92 NE
High Trees Farmhouse
House. Circa early C15, partly rebuilt circa late C15, extended
circa late C16 and remodelled in C18 and C19. Plastered timber
frame. Peg-tile roof with gabled cross-wings. Large circa 1600
brick lateral stack on side of left cross-wing with set-offs and
diagonally set broached shafts; brick axial stack with arched
panels. Plan: Circa early C15 open hall, screens passage and
jettied high end cross-wing to left (S). Jettied service end
cross-wing on right (N) rebuilt in circa late C15 and with later
C16 kitchen wing (open to roof) at rear (W) of low end; floor
inserted probably in C17. In circa late C17 or early C18 hall
floored and axial stack inserted at its low end backing onto
passage. Outshut built later on inner south side of rear wing.
Exterior: 2 storeys 1:2:1 bays. Gabled cross-wings to left and
right with jettied first floors on curved brackets, bargeboards,
finials and pendants. C19 4:12:4 pane tripartite sashes; centre
first floor 2:8:2 panes. C20 gabled porch to right of centre with
plank inner door. At rear cross-wings hipped with gablet on right
and gabled to left, the left with slightly lower gable-ended
wing, its roof carried down over outshut on left; various
casements and C19 sashes with glazing bars.
Interior: Screen passage has 4-centred arch doorways at rear and
2 service doorways. Partition removed from between service rooms
and partition between hall and cross-wing (parlour) demolished.
Chamfered ceiling beams, with bar stops in parlour, broad
unchamfered joists in service end and chamfered joists in rear
wing. Some exposed wall framing. Chambers have exposed chamfered
tie-beams, the hall's with large arch braces. Exposed wall-
framing at high end of hall chamber with curved tension braces.
Intact 2-bay crown-post roofs over hall and cross-wings; hall's
smoke-blackened cross-quadrate crown-post; cross-wings have posts
with longitudinal braces; the high end cross-wing's crown-post
has broached stops. Rear wing has smoke-blackened 4-bay crown-
post roof with longitudinal braces.
Listing NGR: TL9590728276
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings