History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Water Side House

A Grade II Listed Building in Colton, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.2689 / 54°16'8"N

Longitude: -2.9771 / 2°58'37"W

OS Eastings: 336462

OS Northings: 486355

OS Grid: SD364863

Mapcode National: GBR 7MN2.8H

Mapcode Global: WH82Z.7YLS

Plus Code: 9C6V729F+H5

Entry Name: Water Side House

Listing Date: 23 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225329

English Heritage Legacy ID: 421453

Location: Colton, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

Civil Parish: Colton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Finsthwaite St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Lake Side


SD 38 NE
Water Side House


House. Probably 1650-60 with extension of 1675. Roughcast stone with slate
roof. 3 storeys, 5 bays, with single-storey single-bay former outbuilding to
left. Most windows are sashed with single-glazing bars and horns but 2nd bay of
ground floor has vertical glazing bars and 3rd bay has window with small-paned
fixed glazing; 2nd floor has 2-light windows; former outbuilding has 3-light
wooden mullioned window, chamfered to inside. Entrance to 3rd bay has 2-panel
door, that to 4th bay has wide-boarded door with old lock plate. Gable-end
stacks to 3-storey part, that to left has truncated projecting part. Rear has
gabled wing with lean-to stair wing to left return. 1st bay has C20 casement to
ground floor; stair wing has 2 windows with fixed glazing; left return of wing
has ground floor 3-light wooden chamfered-mullioned window with slated lintel;
floors above have casement windows, that to 2nd floor with iron opening light.
Right return of wing has 2 wooden chamfered-mullioned windows of 3 lights, that
to right is C20; 1st floor has similar window of 4 lights with 3 remaining
intermediate bars, glazing to outside. Gable-end stack. Former outshut has
sashed window with glazing bars and horns, with 3-light wooden flat-mullioned
window to right. Left return has 3-light wooden mullioned window, chamfered
inside, entrance with wide-boarded door to left and 1st floor wide-boarded
studded loading door. Right return is blind. Interior: Ovolo moulded beams;
fireplace with corbelled lintel and moulded opening with spice cuboard with door
frame to left. 2 doors with 2 fielded panels and dado rails in bolection
architraves; 2-light wooden chamfered-mullioned window with intermediate bars
and wooden shutters in former rear wall, a rare example. Wing has fireplace
plaster overmantel with oak trail border and date 1675 with flanking initials:
"RTI" and "CRA". Robert and Isobel Taylor and Charles and Agnes Robinson
(Daughter to the Taylors). Dog-leg stair has turned balusters, square newels
and moulded hand rail. 1st floor has fielded panelled partitions with dado
rails and doors as above, the end rooms with bolection-moulded panelling.

Listing NGR: SD3646286355

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.