This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8214 / 53°49'17"N
Longitude: -3.0514 / 3°3'4"W
OS Eastings: 330885
OS Northings: 436640
OS Grid: SD308366
Mapcode National: GBR ZKD.HC
Mapcode Global: WH858.367R
Entry Name: Odeon Cinema
Listing Date: 11 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225407
English Heritage Legacy ID: 421772
Location: Blackpool, FY1
Electoral Ward/Division: Claremont
Built-Up Area: Blackpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Blackpool St John
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
The following building shall be added:
SD 33 NW BLACKPOOL DICKSON ROAD
44- /2/10001 Odeon Cinema
Odeon cinema. 1938-9 by Robert Bullivant of the firm Harry Weedon and Partners. Steel
frame clad in brick, with white and green faience to front and black faience to lower part
of left side elevation. Roof not seen. Rectangular double-height plan with corner tower.
Auditorium originally for 1,800 seats in stalls and single circle, with foyers on both levels;
subdivided in 1975 to form two 200-seat mini-cinemas and projection box under circle. The
main auditorium comprises the original circle, front stalls, proscenium, stage and surrounds.
Main facade a series of planes etched with narrow bands, centred on five lancets with metal
casements under ODEON sign. Cornice band striped in green faience. Square corner tower
set back to right side, also faience-clad, fluted at top under ODEON signs to each face.
Original canopy over ground floor. Side elevation of banded brick and tile, stepped down
to rear. Ground floor clad in black faience under original queue canopy running the full
length of the facade and now a rare feature on a cinema. Auditorium has stage but no fly
tower. Proscenium with fluted, streamlined surround, flanked by decorative screens masking
ventilation chambers. Ceiling with moulded cyma decoration ascends in six steps from the
anteproscenium screen, incorporating two bands of decorative vents and service ducts to pairs
of pendant lights. Rear projection box now disused. Original pendant wall-lights, six to
either side. Dado panelling and veneered barriers, moulded circle front. Original doors with
tiny viewing panes under chrome bars. The front of the stalls with original exit doors but
now unseated. Circle foyer retains some original seating but has been repanelled and
converted to a bar. Included as a remarkably complete surviving Odeon cinema, with many
original features now rare elsewhere.
Rosemary Clegg, Odeon, 1985.
The Ideal Kinema, 22 June 1939
Listing NGR: SD3088536639
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings