History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cafeteria, Information Centre and Adjoining Boathouse at Fell Foot Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Windermere, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2762 / 54°16'34"N

Longitude: -2.9522 / 2°57'7"W

OS Eastings: 338092

OS Northings: 487141

OS Grid: SD380871

Mapcode National: GBR 7LTZ.NW

Mapcode Global: WH82Z.MSD6

Entry Name: Cafeteria, Information Centre and Adjoining Boathouse at Fell Foot Park

Listing Date: 23 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225511

English Heritage Legacy ID: 421911

Location: Windermere, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

Civil Parish: Windermere

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Staveley-in-Cartmel St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Lake Side

Listing Text

STAVELEY-IN-CARTMEL A592
SD 38 NE
(West side)
7/101 Cafeteria,
Information Centre
and adjoining
boathouse at Fell
Foot Park

G.V. II

Boathouses, one now converted. Fireplace inscribed: 'GJMR/1869'. Coursed slate
rubble with water-worn limestone dressings, slate roof. Boat entrance has
triangular limestone arch with keystone, portcullis and sliding studded doors,
with C20 glazed doors behind. Flanking turrets with limestone crosses and
projecting embattled parapets. Embattled gable with limestone cross and
finial. Right return has 2 windows and entrance with large limestone lintels
and extension under catslide roof. Cross-axial stack and gable-end stack. Rear
has window and entrance up steps. Interior has cast iron arch braces with
scrollwork to roof trusses; small bracketed balcony over round-headed fireplace
with cable mould; inserted balcony to end. Boathouse to north side projects to
east with open gabled shed to west which has iron columns and ornate cast iron
roof trusses. Front platform has ramp to centre, ramp to north has iron rails.
Part of a group of boathouses built for Col. G.J.M. Ridehalgh of Fell Foot, from
1854 member of the 1st sailing committee of Windermere Sailing Club and one of
the founders of the Royal Windermere Yacht Club; the house was demolished.


Listing NGR: SD3809287141

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.