History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Marbury Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Marbury cum Quoisley, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0013 / 53°0'4"N

Longitude: -2.656 / 2°39'21"W

OS Eastings: 356069

OS Northings: 345086

OS Grid: SJ560450

Mapcode National: GBR 7M.GWX3

Mapcode Global: WH9BG.5TGJ

Entry Name: Marbury Hall

Listing Date: 10 June 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422040

Location: Marbury cum Quoisley, Cheshire East, SY13

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Marbury cum Quoisley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Marbury St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Wrenbury

Listing Text

MARBURY CUM QUOISLEY C.P. (Off) HOLLINS LANE
SJ 54 NE
2/60 Marbury Hall
10-6-52
GV II
Small country house. c.1806. Red Flemish bond brick, painted, with
ashlar dressings and a slate roof with lead flashings. Two storeys.
Entrance front: seven bays symmetrically disposed. Slightly
projecting plinth. The central, slightly recessed, bay has engaged
antae to either side of the opening with a simplified entablature
above. To the opening are half-glazed doors of oak brought from Eaton
Hall, Nr.Eccleston. Within the recessed porch is a 1/2-glazed door with
lights to either side and a segmental fanlight above. To either side
are segmental bow windows each incorporating 3 bays, which at ground
floor level consist of deep sash windows of 3 x 2 sash panes falling
to the level of the plinth. To the first floor are seven sash windows
of 3 x 2 panes. Deep eaves and a hipped roof to either side of which
are chimney stacks, of 3 flues at right and 5 flues at left. At left
and slightly recessed is a service wing of four bays with 2-light and
single-light C20 windows at right and a C20 lean-to glazed porch at
left with a blocked window above. The right hand side has two first
floor windows of 3 x 2 sash panes. Rear: 3 bays symmetrically
disposed with central projecting bay with doorway having a segmental
relieving arch over and a moulded wooden door surround incorporating a
rectangular overlight with fan-shaped glazing bars. To either side of
this are tri-partite windows with segmental relieving arches above,
that at left having later C19 French windows to the centre and that at
right having a C20 window. Moulded wooden lintels to both windows.
To the first floor at centre is a staircase window of 4 x 4 panes with
segmental head. To either side and set slightly higher in the walling
are windows of 3 x 2 horned sash panes. Above the central bay was
originally a portion of parapet. To the right is the service wing of
two lower storeys with French windows at left and a cambered-headed
sash window of 3 x 2 panes with a stone sill. Two similar windows to
the first floor.


Listing NGR: SJ5606945086

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.