History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Lindale, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.216 / 54°12'57"N

Longitude: -2.8998 / 2°53'59"W

OS Eastings: 341419

OS Northings: 480406

OS Grid: SD414804

Mapcode National: GBR 8M5P.ZF

Mapcode Global: WH83D.F9C8

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Last Amended: 23 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225725

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422228

Location: Upper Allithwaite, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

Civil Parish: Upper Allithwaite

Built-Up Area: Lindale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Lindale St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
High Newton

Listing Text

UPPER ALLITHWAITE LINDALE
SD 48 SW
11/111
Church of St Paul
25.3.70 (formerly listed as
Church of St Paul
Lindale

G V II

Church. 1828. By G. Webster. Chancel, north vestry and organ loft probably
1864; north aisle 1913. Roughcast stone with ashlar dressings, chancel of
rock-faced limestone with ashlar dressings, north aisle of stone rubble; slate
roofs. 6-bay nave clasps west tower. Lancets with splayed reveals and gabled
porch with datestone to south side. West end has battered base with roll
moulding over, tower breaking forward; 3 lancets, the central one with hoodmould
and fleuron; flat-roofed north aisle has angle buttress. Tower has bell stage
over weathering with paired louvred bell openings and projecting embattled
parapet; low pyramidal roof with ornate iron cross. 5-bay north aisle, over
basement due to slope of ground, has weathered buttresses on battered bases, one
rising as stack. Lancets paired to 2nd and 4th bays. Gabled organ loft breaks
forward to east, cusped lancet has trefoil window above, both with hoodmoulds.
Flat-roofed vestry has 3-light hollow-chamfered-mullioned window with transom;
east entrance with shouldered lintel. Return stack to organ loft. Chancel has
sill course and 2 windows of 2 lights and Y-tracery to south side, that to east
has high sill, with corresponding window to north side; weathered buttresses.
East end has 3 stepped lancets with tracery heads and continuous hoodmould;
gable cross, and similar cross to nave. South side of church has some wall
memorials and adjoining chest tombs of late C18 and early C19. Interior: Roof
has doubled principal rafters, collars and kingposts; 5-bay arcade; plain tower
arch, 1913 font, round bowl with Romanesque detail; painted canvas panels, C18,
of Creed, Lord's Prayer and Ten Commandments, arms of George III. Plaques
record augmentation of funds, 1760 and rebuilding of church. Timber open
traceried chancel screen, east end panelled with traceried reredos, figures and
cresting; recesses to north and south. Roof has common rafters with bracing and
ashlaring. Some interesting C19 stained glass.


Listing NGR: SD4141980406

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.