History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

South Gateway and Stocks Immediately South East with Steps and Railings, Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Martock, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.969 / 50°58'8"N

Longitude: -2.7686 / 2°46'7"W

OS Eastings: 346123

OS Northings: 119123

OS Grid: ST461191

Mapcode National: GBR MH.M8DD

Mapcode Global: FRA 562K.568

Entry Name: South Gateway and Stocks Immediately South East with Steps and Railings, Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 28 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225950

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422984

Location: Martock, South Somerset, Somerset, TA12

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Martock

Built-Up Area: Martock

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Martock

Listing Text

South Gateway & Stocks etc, Church Street
12/240
9/240

------------------------------------

South Gateway & Stocks etc, Church Street
12/240
9/240

------------------------------------
ST4619 MARTOCK CP CHURCH STREET (West side)

12/240 South gateway and stocks
immediately south-east, with
steps and railings, Church of All
Saints
19.4.61


GV II

Gateway, steps and stocks. Gateway dated 1627. Ham stone, with wrot iron work. In form of short, tall ashlar wall with
stepped angled coping, returned down the sides, with 3 pinnacles on top, framing a moulded semi-circular archway with
false keystone and impost blocks; with an approach of 4 steps with matching baluster walls ending in square piers with
bell-hip caps. The gates early C19, featuring Gothic arches, scrolls, barbed arrowpoints and other Regency style
decoration; railings to corners formed by projecting stairs set on low stone base now almost sunken, having plain
arrowhead tops; on south-west side railings enclose a notice board, and on south-east the stocks, 4 leg-holes with iron
straps, under wrot iron and oak plank roof. An inscription over the archway reads: Robert Jeane and Thomas Row,
Churchwardens, Ano Dni 1627".

Listing NGR: ST4612319122

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.