This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7488 / 53°44'55"N
Longitude: -2.0212 / 2°1'16"W
OS Eastings: 398696
OS Northings: 428049
OS Grid: SD986280
Mapcode National: GBR GTB2.6W
Mapcode Global: WHB8D.X1PD
Entry Name: Heptonstall Grammar School Museum
Listing Date: 1 November 1966
Last Amended: 12 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225975
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423032
Location: Heptonstall, Calderdale, HX7
Civil Parish: Heptonstall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Heptonstall St Thomas a Becket and St Thomas the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 9828SE HEPTONSTALL C.P. CHURCH YARD BOTTOM
9/51 Heptonstall Grammar School
Museum, (formerly listed
as Warehouse in Church Lane,
Nos 12 and 14 Church Lane and
1.11.66 Nos 4 and 5 Churchyard Bottom)
School, 1771 and attached pair of cottages, late C17 or early C18, now forming
museum. Large dressed stone, stone slate roof. School 2 storeys to Church
Lane, and single storey to front, cottages 3 storeys to Church Lane and 2
storeys to front. Church Lane elevation has school to left with 3 bays of
simple Venetian windows to each floor with false keystones. Doorway between 1st
and 2nd bay, paired doorways between 2nd and 3rd bays all with tie-stone jambs
and chamfered surround. Over paired doorways is a single window with semi-
circular arched lintel, impost block and keystone. All windows have small pane
glazing. Cottages break forward and rise higher. 2 cells with paired doorways
to centre. All are double chamfered mullioned windows. To left 3 lights to
each floor. To right 3 lights with 5-light windows over to 1st and 2nd floor.
Church Yard front has doorway either side of 6-light window with king mullion
and two 3-light windows to 1st floor. School breaks forward and has 2 doorways
with tie-stone jambs and chamfered surround with richly moulded recess over, one
now a window the other with stone engraved " HEPTONSTALL "
GRAMMAR SCHOOL .
South gable has 3-light double chamfered mullioned window to attic. Coped gable
with kneelers. Lateral stack to front and rear and one other to ridge. A
plaque to front is inscribed " HEPTONSTALL
FOUNDED 1642 BY ENDOWMENT OF THE
REV. CHARLES GREENWOOD M.A.
RECTOR OF THORNHILL
LORD OF THE MANOR OF HEPTONSTALL
REBUILT 1772 CLOSED 1889 "
Interior of school room has stone fireplace with flat-arched lintel and
chamfered stone shelf. Fitted bookcase with semi-circular arched surround.
Earlier this century used as a bank by the Yorkshire Penny Bank. C.F. Stell,
Listing NGR: SD9869628049
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings