History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Steeple Aston, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9286 / 51°55'43"N

Longitude: -1.3136 / 1°18'48"W

OS Eastings: 447295

OS Northings: 225791

OS Grid: SP472257

Mapcode National: GBR 7VL.4Q6

Mapcode Global: VHCWV.5SXC

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226005

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423067

Location: Steeple Aston, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Steeple Aston

Built-Up Area: Steeple Aston

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Steeple Aston

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Middle Aston

Listing Text

STEEPLE ASTON SOUTH SIDE
SP4725 (North side)
9/134
08/12/55 Manor Farmhouse
- II

Farmhouse. Early/mid C17, late C17 and C19, Coursed squared marlstone with
limestone dressings; marlstone and limestone rubble with wooden lintels;
Stonesfield-slate, Welsh-slate and artificial stone-slate roofs with ashlar and
brick stacks. L plan, partly infilled. 2 storeys. 3-window late-C17 marlstone
front, with chamfered plinth and moulded wooden eaves cove, has a 6-panel door
set to left of centre below a flat panelled canopy; to right at both floors are
pairs of stone-mullioned windows with transoms, but to left are larger 3-light
windows, with renewed wooden mullions and transoms and with wooden lintels. The
heads of the ground-floor windows are linked by a continuous moulded string. To
extreme left and right at first floor are rectangular stone panels containing
moulded ovals, probably intended for plaster or terracotta reliefs; there is a
similar panel on the right return wall. Both end walls have a small window with
a chamfered stone surround, and have gable parapets with projecting kneelers and
triangular copings with an apex roll. Right gable stack retains a pair of ashlar
diagonal shafts. Long rear wing, returning from left end, is probably earlier
and has casements with heavy stop-chamfered lintels; a lower granary bay at the
end has a 3-row gable dovecote and an external stone stair. Added C19 range
parallel to main range, is in coursed limestone rubble with flat arches.
Interior: Panelled doors and shutters in main range are all c.1800.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p24; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p787)


Listing NGR: SP4729525791

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.