This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0212 / 52°1'16"N
Longitude: -1.2764 / 1°16'35"W
OS Eastings: 449748
OS Northings: 236114
OS Grid: SP497361
Mapcode National: GBR 7TH.83K
Mapcode Global: VHCWG.TGKC
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226135
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423247
Location: Kings Sutton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Kings Sutton
Built-Up Area: Kings Sutton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: King's Sutton St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP4936 KINGS SUTTON THE SQUARE
11/144 Church of St. Peter and St.
Church. C14 with C12 remains. Restored c.1866 by Sir G.G. Scott. Coursed
limestone rubble, stone slate and lead roof. Chancel with vestry and organ
chamber, nave and clerestory, north and south aisles with porches, west tower
with octagonal spire. West porch. Exterior: North and south chancel walls late
C12 with corbel table of carved heads. Perpendicular 4-light east window in
chancel. Decorated windows in north and south chancel walls, 4-lights with
reticulated tracery. (Renewed in south windows). Low side window with 4-
centered head in south walls; priests doorway to east. Turret with stairs to
former rood-loft in angle between chancel and south aisle. C19 vestry and organ
chamber. Nave has battlemented parapet with sundial at south-east corner.
Clerestory windows c.1500, each of 2 arched uncusped lights with square hoods.
Roof pitch in north aisle lowered c.1500 and heads of large Decorated windows
at east and west ends altered. 5-light west window retains some Decorated
tracery but has been reduced in height and given square hood; east window has
intersecting tracery, altered C19. Small doorway c.1500 with 4-centered head
below west window in north aisle. Decorated south east window in north wall; 3-
lights with reticulated tracery. 3-light Perpendicular window to left. C15
north porch has parapet with ball finials, probably of c.1832 (datestone with
illegible inscription). Large Decorated east window in south aisle, 5-lights,
has tracery with a wheel and triangles. Other south aisle windows are Decorated
with reticulated and flowing tracery. Perpendicular south porch, originally
gabled, now has C18 castellated parapet. Doorway has 4-centred arch with
quatrefoil spandrels and square hood. Similar doorway to south aisle. Early
C15 tower of 3 stages. 2-light bell openings with transoms and flowing tracery
under square hoods, the end stops carved as figures with musical instruments.
Straight parapet with blind quatrefoil tracery and gargoyles. At each corner
a pair of crocketed pinnicles is linked by flying buttresses to octagonal spire
which has 2-light lucarnes framed by pinnacles. Ridges of spire ornamented with
crockets, and near apex, a band of fleur-de-lys. C15 west porch with crocketed
pinnacles and square gable with canoped niche containing a headless statue of
Virgin and Child flanked by kneeling figures. Porch interior has fan-vaulting.
Doorway to nave has 4-centered arch with quatrefoil spandrels. Interior: Norman
style blank arcading on north and south walls of chancel. C12 shafts, C19
arches with zig-zag mouldings; C19 piscinia and sedilia, but piscinia has re-
used C12 mouldings. C14 chancel arch has hood with head stops and C19 responds.
Chancel roof C19. North and south nave arcades 3-bays, plus fourth bay which
forms base of tower. South arcade late C12, rebuilt and heightened C14 as
indicated by tall proportions similar to C14 north arcade and use of
ballflower moulding on one of the capitals. Retains C12 round piers with
square abaci. Captital of east pier has scalloped decoration and that of north
respond waterleaf. Unmoulded pointed arches have hood with nail-head
decoration. C14 north arcade has quatrefoil piers with moulded capitals and
double chamfered arches. Re-used C12 fragments at base of 2-piers, including
part of scalloped capital. Panelled timber roof in nave c.1500, with carved and
gilded bosses. C14 piscinia with cusped ogee arch and pinnacles in south aisle.
Recess below south east window ornamented with band of quatrefoil, trefoils and
blank shields. Panelled timber roof in south aisle, c.1500, with carved bosses
one with the letter "R". North aisle roof similar, also c.1500 has bosses with
heraldic shields. Fittings: Romanesque font with roughly cut bowl. Screen
c.1866 by Sir G.G. Scott. Pews c.1842 with carved poppy heads. (Architect for
re-pewing was D.G. Squirhill, as recorded on wooden tablet in south aisle);
Wood panel carved with 3 pairs of figures in relief, c.1500, in north aisle.
Wall monument in chancel to Thomas Langton Freke died 1769. Plaster relief of
"The Resurrection" with two-thirds life size figures of Christ holding banner
and angel trampling on a skeleton. In the style of Roubilliac.
(Buildings of England : Northamptonshire p.278-9).
Listing NGR: SP4974836114
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings