This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6477 / 54°38'51"N
Longitude: -2.5946 / 2°35'40"W
OS Eastings: 361729
OS Northings: 528223
OS Grid: NY617282
Mapcode National: GBR BGBP.2Q
Mapcode Global: WH92K.3FRW
Plus Code: 9C6VJCX4+35
Entry Name: Acorn Bank House
Listing Date: 6 February 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226225
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423386
Location: Temple Sowerby, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Temple Sowerby
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Temple Sowerby St James
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 62 NW TEMPLE SOWERBY
2(INSET)/113 Acorn Bank House
Large house, taken over by the Crown at the Dissolution, it was bought by the
Dalstons in 1544. The deep chamfered plinth to the north-west corner may date
from the previous owners, the Knights Templar & Hospitaller. The pre C18 work
is coursed, roughly squared blocks, the rest is ashlar. All roofs are of
graduated slate with corniced stone end and mid chimneys. 2-storey west
elevation is late C16. Door with false 4-centred head to either end of 3
central bays; 3-light mullioned window between and 3 above. Wing at each end
has single 2-light mullioned window to each floor. Internally, a spiral stair
with timber and plaster enclosure and 3 original fireplaces have survived. At
the rear of the main house, the west stair wing bears a 1656 datestone; the
Venetian windows are part-rusticated externally with Doric columns internally.
The stairs have cut string with turned balusters and a later, moulded, handrail;
the dog gates at the bottom have been retained. Some C17 heraldic glass. The
central rear wing may be earlier and incorporates part of a newel stair. The
east stair wing is mid C18 with a single Venetian window; internally, at the
head of the later stairs, are paired Ionic columns. The ceiling is Italianate
with decorative panels. Both stairs have pedimented doorcases on each landing.
In the mid C18 the main house was remodelled and extended with a rusticated east
gable wall. Symmetrical 3-storey, 9-bay front has 2nd floor band and moulded
eaves. Central door has segmental pediment and shouldered achitrave; sash
windows have glazing bars and architraves. 2-storeyed, hipped, wings to either
side have trompe l'oeil windows. Internally, large C17 segment-headed,
fireplaces in kitchen and hall; small door to right in kitchen (now blocked) led
into newel stair. Present dining room is fully panelled with vine-leaf and
greek-key decoration; Adam fireplace and overmantel. Other rooms retain C17 and
C18 panelling, fireplaces and cornices. Elaborately carved early C17 overmantel
with Dalston heraldry was moved from hall to 1st floor bedroom in late C20.
Most doors are original, some in shouldered doorcases.
Listing NGR: NY6172028224
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings