This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9058 / 53°54'20"N
Longitude: -1.5117 / 1°30'42"W
OS Eastings: 432178
OS Northings: 445622
OS Grid: SE321456
Mapcode National: GBR KRW8.JM
Mapcode Global: WHC90.R3B3
Entry Name: Harewood Castle
Listing Date: 30 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226242
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423419
Location: Harewood, Leeds, LS17
Civil Parish: Harewood
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Collingham St Oswald with Harewood
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
HAREWOOD HARROGATE ROAD
SE3245 LS17 (west side, off)
14/96 Harewood Castle
Large tower house (ruin). Mid C14 by William de Alburgh who obtained license
to crenellate in 1366. Large,dressed,locally-quarried millstone grit, lacks
roof. A single self-contained keep-like structure rectangular on plan with
corner projections,that to north-east angle containing entrance;with another
oblong attached beyond on north-side containing kitchen. Entrance, Great Hall
with Solar above; at lower level, kitchen and buttery with cellars under;
Chapel over portcullis chamber, towers housed bedchambers and garde-robes.
2-storey hall-range, 3-storey service-range,south-east and south-west projections
4-storey towers over 100' high carried up above the roof of the main block,
other projections formerly had towers. East entrance front: 5 bays. 5th bay
projecting tower has pointed-arched doorway with chamfered surround with above,
at 3rd-floor level,remains of traceried window to chapel flanked by shields with
the coat of arms of Aldburgh and of Edward Balliol, the former puppet King of
Scotland whom he had served with, set above, inscription "VAT SAL BE SAL"
(WHAT SHALL BE SHALL) in high relief. Flanking bays have chamfered cross-mullioned
windows one surviving with mullions. First 2 bays are projection of wing with
2 bays of arrow slits,one lighting stair. Rear of hall range has 3 bays of former
cross-windows with narrow chamfered light set between first 2 windows to light
internal buffet (see Interior). Right-hand return: northern service range, on
steep slope, 3 diminishing stages with chamfered band carried round 3 sides,
Interior: the entrance is defended by 2 pairs of doors and a portcullis the
groove for which remains. It leads directly to the former screen's passage
at the north end of the hall, the upper end of the hall has a raised curbstone
for a dais on which is set the fireplace in the south wall (lacks surround).
The hall windows are raised up to a high level and the seats in the reveals are
approached up a short flight of steps in the wall thickness. They have segmental-
arched heads. Along the side walls of the main body of the hall are remains of
stone wall benches. On the west wall and on the dais is the principal feature of
the room, an elaborate recess with a richly-cusped arch, crocketed ogee gable lit
by a small window at the back. It is almost certainly a buffet or sideboard for
the display of plate. Large corbels formerly supported the floor to the solar
above. The weathering for the steep pitched roof can be seen on the north and
south walls. The south wall has joist holes for a gallery approx. 10' above the
solar floor with a plain fireplace under and another, mostly destroyed, on the
east wall. Centrally-placed at north end of hall is an arched doorway to an
unheated room, probably the buttery. Opposite entrance is arched-doorway to a
lobby which leads to the kitchen and may have been a servery with a mural-stair
cut in the west wall to the cellar/basement with remains of barrel vault with
large ribs. Above, the kitchen has 2 large fireplaces and an oven. In the tower
over the entrance is a portcullis chamber and above that, the chapel, with a
display of heraldic shields on the walls, entered from the solar. The towers
contain one small room on each floor mostly provided with fireplaces, garde-robes
and wall cupboards.
There has been little structural alteration to the castle since it was built
and in spite of its ruined condition it is probably the best example in
Yorkshire of a C14 fortified tower-houses. The primary historical interest of
it is an example of medieval domestic planning and not as military architecture.
Edward Balliol, King of Scotland, is reputed to have taken refuge here when
driven from his Kingdom. It was later the home of the Redmaynes and the Rythers.
It was known to be inhabited in 1630 but was derelict in 1656 when it was sold
to Sir John Cutler. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding (1974) p245.
P. F. Ryder, Medieval Buildings of Yorkshire, (1982) p99-100.
R. Wade, Vat Sal Be Sal, (booklet 1982) p9-10
Listing NGR: SE3218245636
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings