History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Papworth Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Papworth Everard, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2478 / 52°14'52"N

Longitude: -0.1138 / 0°6'49"W

OS Eastings: 528869

OS Northings: 262742

OS Grid: TL288627

Mapcode National: GBR K58.21C

Mapcode Global: VHGM9.ZR6Q

Entry Name: Papworth Hall

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226279

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423485

Location: Papworth Everard, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Papworth Everard

Built-Up Area: Papworth Everard

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Papworth Everard St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Papworth Everard

Listing Text

TL 26SE PAPWORTH EVERARD ERMINE STREET
(North Side)

8/93 Papworth Hall
31.8.62

II*


Large Country House, 1809-1813 by George Byfield (1756 - 1813),
for Charles Madryll Cheere (d.1825), altered in 1860-96 by E.T.
Hooley. Stuccoed brick with moulded stone and limestone
dressings. Low pitched hipped slated roofs; two symmetrical
stacks and rear stacks. West main entrance facade of five
'bays'. Plinth; shallow parapet with deep cornice. Pedimented
portico with four giant unfluted Ionic columns. Double,
three-panelled doors with patterned cast iron glazing bars and
projecting lantern, flanked by two recessed twelve-paned hung
sash windows and with three similar first floor windows. Ground
floor windows in outer 'bays' of three hung sash lights
pedimented in blind segmental arches; two twelve-paned first
floor hung sash windows with moulded stone architraves. South
elevation of seven 'bays' with three centre 'bays' pedimented
and slightly projecting; semi circular Roman Doric porch with
cast iron railings to balcony with access from first floor
window. East elevation with recessed Ionic portico. Interior.
Large entrance hall floored with grey marble with Ionic
pilasters and columns in red scagliola; similar yellow scagliola
columns to east ante room of Corinthian order. Stone staircase
with cast iron balustrade enriched with leaf patterns. Charles
Madryll, married to John Cheere's daughter, adopted the family
name when inheriting the estate. E.T. Hooley, a financier, is
reputed to have spent £150,000 improving the estate and became
bankrupt in 1909. The Hall became a T.B. hospital in 1924 when
Sir Pendrill Darrier-Jones founded an experimental T.B. recovery
colony.
R.C.H.M. West Cambs mon.2, p.197
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p.448
Parker, R. History of Papworth Everard 198
Colvin. p.115


Listing NGR: TL2866762824

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.