History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Warkworth, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0627 / 52°3'45"N

Longitude: -1.2917 / 1°17'30"W

OS Eastings: 448651

OS Northings: 240719

OS Grid: SP486407

Mapcode National: GBR 7SW.Q6Y

Mapcode Global: VHCW8.KFG2

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226297

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423521

Location: Warkworth, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Warkworth

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Warkworth St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Banbury

Listing Text

SP44SE WARKWORTH

1/177 Church of St Mary
04/02/69

- II*

Church. C14, partly rebuilt C19. Limestone and ironstone. Artificial stone
slate and lead roof. Chancel and north vestry; north and south aisles;
south transept; south porch. West tower. Chancel windows Victorian. North
vestry has re-used Perpendicular 2-light window with square head. East window
of south transept: Decorated, 4 lights, tracery with quatrefoils and trefoils
and a hood with ball flower decoration and headstops. South doorway also C14.
Window to left C14, (tracery renewed) 3 lights and hood with headstops. West
tower: C14, three stages with crenellated parapet, corbel table, and gargoyles
at angles. Square turret at north west corner. Bell openings are Decorated,
3 lights with flowing tracery. All north aisle windows Victorian. Interior:
chancel arch C14, triple chamfered with half octagonal responds. 3-bay north
arcade, C14, has octagonal pier and moulded capitals carved with grotesque
heads. South arcade Victorian. South aisle has squint to chancel and to right a
plain square low-side window. Above it is part of a blocked C14 arch. C14 arch
to transept, double chamfered, with half octagonal responds. Fittings: Tub
front, probably Romanesque, re-cut C14 with arcade of blind ogee arches. Re-
used C14-15 tracery on bench ends, one carved with an "Annunciation", Effigy
of a knight (Sir John de Lyons?) on tomb-chest c.1350, of clunch. Tomb-chest
elaborately carved with crockleted ogee panels containing shields and figures
of mourners. C14 relief of "Virgin and Child" at foot of effigy not insitu. C14
stone effigies of Knight and Lady, in recesses in north aisle. Wall monument
to William Holman died 1740, signed by R. Mottley, in south transept. Grey and
white marble with elaborate architectural frame. Marble floor slabs to Holman
family of Warkworth Castle. Late C17-18, with fine lettering and crests carved
in shallow relief.
(Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.444).


Listing NGR: SP4865140719

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.