History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Heptonstall, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7498 / 53°44'59"N

Longitude: -2.0201 / 2°1'12"W

OS Eastings: 398771

OS Northings: 428160

OS Grid: SD987281

Mapcode National: GBR GTB2.GJ

Mapcode Global: WHB8D.Y06N

Entry Name: Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 1 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226441

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423735

Location: Heptonstall, Calderdale, HX7

County: Calderdale

Civil Parish: Heptonstall

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Heptonstall St Thomas a Becket and St Thomas the Apostle

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Hebden Bridge

Listing Text

SD 9828SE HEPTONSTALL C.P. NORTHGATE (east side)
Heptonstall

9/109 Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

1.11.66

G.V. II*

Chapel, c.1764 to design recommended by John Wesley who laid the foundation
stone, extended 1802. Watershot masonry, ashlar dressings, slate roof. 2
storeys. Irregular octagon originally built as symmetrical octagon. Chamfered
plinth, rusticated quoins, band. Central doorway, now partly blocked to form a
window with stained glass, has tall monolithic jambs, semi-circular arched head
with moulded impost and triple keystone. Angled faces to either side have tall
doorway with monolithic jambs and square fanlight. 1st floor has windows with
plain stone surrounds and projecting sills with coloured glass margin panes.
Longer sides have 2 similar windows to each floor. Tripartite hipped roof
believed to be constructed by the same carpenter who had made the Rotherham
Octagon (1761).
Interior: Gallery with canted ends carried on stone Tuscan columns:entablature
has plaster cast of laurel leaves. Some box pews to main body, raked seating to
gallery. Minister's tall pulpit with en-suite altar rails and small organ behind,
all contemporary with early C19 alteration. Octagonal plaster boss to ceiling.
Some stained glass windows. Copper plaque (on outside) inscribed:
" HEPTONSTALL METHODIST CHAPEL
THE OLDEST METHODIST CHAPEL
IN THE WORLD IN CONTINUOUS USE.
THE SOCIETY WAS FOUNDED BY
WILLIAM DARNEY ABOUT 1742
THE REV. JOHN WESLEY PREACHED AT
HEPTONSTALL FOR THE LAST TIME IN 1786"

Illustrated in K. Parry, Trans-Pennine Heritage (1981) p.66; D. Linstrum,
West Yorkshire, Architects and Architecture, (1978) p.197.


Listing NGR: SD9877128160

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.