History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

162-165, PICCADILLY W1 (See details for further address information)

A Grade II Listed Building in St James's, Westminster

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5078 / 51°30'27"N

Longitude: -0.1401 / 0°8'24"W

OS Eastings: 529175

OS Northings: 180400

OS Grid: TQ291804

Mapcode National: GBR DF.QP

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.JC9H

Entry Name: 162-165, PICCADILLY W1 (See details for further address information)

Listing Date: 30 May 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226543

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423862

Location: Westminster, London, W1J

County: Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St James Piccadilly

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2980 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER PICCADILLY Wl
81/68 (south side)
30-5-72 Nos 162 to 165(consec.)
(including No 39 St.
James's Street)
GV II
Corner block of offices and shops. 1907-09 by Runtz and Ford.
Marble clad, slate roof. Rich and busy Free Baroque. 4 main
storeys with mezzanine to ground floor, attic storey and 2 roof
storeys. Symmetrical Piccadilly front with 5 bay centre flanked
by slightly advanced pavilions, splayed comer rising as bowed
oriel and 3 bays to St. James's. Splayed corner entrance with
pedestalled Ionic columns and pediment cut into by mezzanine. Ground
floor of centre 5 bays obscured by mid C20 shop windows and fascias,
the pavilions channelled with rusticated arches to mezzanine, cornice
over central bays articulated by 2 storey engaged giant Ionic columns,
enriched window architraves, segmental pedimented on 1st floor;
pavilions have channelled giant pilasters and columned tripartite
windows with cartouches and putti crowning. 3rd floor above deep
entablature has enriched oculi framed by lion head capped inverted
consoles, the Pavilions with cartouches. Bold crowning cornice.
Attics to pavilions with rusticated arches and crowning bronze
ornaments. The bowed corner oriel has tripartite windows and
is surmounted above cornice by bronze sculpture group on large
stone base. Similar 3 bay return to St. James's with pilastered
semicircular arched doorway, with open pediment on scrolled
brackets, in end bay.
Survey of London; vol XXIX


Listing NGR: TQ2917280391

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.