History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Madey Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Martock, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9685 / 50°58'6"N

Longitude: -2.7597 / 2°45'35"W

OS Eastings: 346747

OS Northings: 119058

OS Grid: ST467190

Mapcode National: GBR MH.MBN8

Mapcode Global: FRA 563K.2NS

Entry Name: Madey Mill

Listing Date: 28 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226550

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423589

Location: Martock, South Somerset, Somerset, TA12

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Martock

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Martock

Listing Text

Madey Mill, East Street.
12/256
9/256

------------------------------------
Madey Mill, East Street.
12/256
9/256

------------------------------------
ST4619 MARTOCK CP EAST STREET (South side, off)

12/256 Madey Mill

-

GV II*

Water mill. Medieval origins, current buildings C17, extended C19. Ham stone ashlar; plain clay tile roof between
stepped coped gables with gabletted crown to south and ashlar chimney stack to north. Two-storeys with attic, 5 bays
east elevation. Wheel at south end, bay 1, the leat feeding in at first floor level; then hollow-chamfer mullioned
windows in reveals, with hoodmoulds; 2-light bays 1 and 2 and lower bay 3, 3-light to bay 4, and to bay 5 a 2-storey
projection under lean-to roof, with 2-light mullioned windows in south return, above a plain chamfered doorway. South
gable end has a 3-light mullioned window to match at each level. West elevation is the C19 extension in lean-to form
under a Welsh slate roof, having 4 bays of 3-light small-pane casement windows, the lower with voussoired segmental
arched heads, except bay 2, which has segmental-arched double doorways to each level, the upper in a small gable.
Inside the overshot iron wheel by Sparrows of Martock, about 3 metres diameter, all buckets missing; all grinding
machinery appears to survive at first floor level, although not in working order. Probably one of 2 Domesday mills -
this mill known as Madey mill since C14; in 1592 was coupled with a horse mill; it passed to the Manor in 1637, and was
probably rebuilt soon after; in C19 became one of several mills held by the Hopkins family. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4674719058

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.