This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5259 / 51°31'33"N
Longitude: -0.0839 / 0°5'1"W
OS Eastings: 533023
OS Northings: 182519
OS Grid: TQ330825
Mapcode National: GBR T7.95
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.HXJ3
Entry Name: Drinking Fountain
Listing Date: 4 February 1975
Last Amended: 28 August 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226614
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423978
Location: Hackney, London, EC2A
Electoral Ward/Division: Hoxton East & Shoreditch
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Leonard with S Michael, Shoreditch
Church of England Diocese: London
735/35/221 PAUL STREET
28-AUG-03 Drinking Fountain
GREAT EASTERN STREET
(Formerly listed as:
GREAT EASTERN STREET EC2
Drinking fountain at junction with Pit
field Street and Old Street)
Columnar drinking fountain. 1880 by A Nicholson.
MATERIALS: Pink and grey polished granite, bronze finial fittings.
DESCRIPTION: 2 granite steps lead up to tall grey granite plinth with semi-circular basins projecting from all 4 sides, backed by arched niches. Narrower upper plinth inscribed on 2 sides; 1876 METROPOLITAN BOARD OF WORKS and VESTRY OF ST LEONARD, SHOREDITCH. Further inscriptions read (south side) GREAT EASTERN STREET OPENED BY THE METROPOLITAN BOARD OF WORKS 1876 and (north) NEITHER IS HE THAT PLANTETH ANYTHING; NEITHER HE THAT WATERETH BUT GOD THAT GIVE THE INCREASE (I Cor. 3:7). Above this a tall Ionic column of polished red granite with sandstone capital (discoloured) and a ball finial in the form of an orb. 8 red granite bollards surround the erection, North face of upper plinth inscribed: "This column erected by the Vestry of St Leonard, Shoreditch, 1880" and artist's name.
HISTORY: the fountain was erected to ornament Great Eastern Street, an important new thoroughfare connecting Commercial Street and the docks with the principal east-west route to the north of the City. The designer, A. Nicholson, was a local stone merchant based nearby in Mark Lane. The fountain was moved a short distance to the south-east as part of a programme of street improvements overseen by Transport for London in 2002/3.
Listing NGR: TQ3301282505
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings