History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Warslow and Elkstones, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1279 / 53°7'40"N

Longitude: -1.9172 / 1°55'1"W

OS Eastings: 405640

OS Northings: 358973

OS Grid: SK056589

Mapcode National: GBR 35S.VGX

Mapcode Global: WHBCC.JM9Y

Entry Name: Church of St John Baptist

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226791

English Heritage Legacy ID: 424159

Location: Warslow and Elkstones, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, SK17

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Warslow and Elkstones

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Warslow with Elkstone

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Warslow

Listing Text

SK 05 NE WARSLOW AND ELKSTONES C.P. UPPER ELKSTONE

4/149 Church of St. John
Baptist
1/2/67
-
II*

Church. Dated 1786. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar quoins
and dressings; clay tile roof with coped verges on kneelers. Oblong
plan; nave and chancel in one, Round headed windows with raised key-
stones; top opening glazing bar windows; single large window to
right; 2 smaller windows to left _one above the other, the former lighting
a gallery; central round headed board door with datestone above;
Venetian East window. Squat louvred belfry with pyramidal roof to W.
end. Interior: Late C18 double decker pulpit, box pews, vestry screen,
alter rail and West gallery with balustraded rail. Plaque on East wall
with inscription: "This Chapel / Was Built under the Care and / Inspection
of William Grindon / of Stonfold, Who with the / Sum of two hundred
pounds / (one hundred and forty of which / was collected by a Brief, and
the Remainder by a Levy throughout the Township) / Compleated the whole
in / the Year of our Lord 1788". 10 Commandment board on N. Wall;
Creed board and Lord's Prayer Board above East window; Coat of arms of
George III above altar.


Listing NGR: SK0564058973

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.