This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3971 / 52°23'49"N
Longitude: -0.5374 / 0°32'14"W
OS Eastings: 499615
OS Northings: 278685
OS Grid: SP996786
Mapcode National: GBR FYS.NZ7
Mapcode Global: VHFP1.M0RP
Entry Name: Numbers 47 (Corn Exchange), 49 and 51
Listing Date: 6 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 424284
Location: Thrapston, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Thrapston
Built-Up Area: Thrapston
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Thrapston St James
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP9978 THRAPSTON HIGH STREET
16/164 Nos.47 (Corn Exchange), 49 and
Inn, now corn exchange/commercial premises, 2 shops and flat. Mid C18, datestone
1850 refers to part conversion to Corn Exchange by Mr Roe. Squared coursed
limestone with C20 plain tile and concrete tile roofs. Originally probably inn
with courtyard, now Corn Exchange Hall and offices and 2 attached shops. 2
storeys with attic. Together comprising a 7-window range, at first floor, of
sash windows under stone lintels with keyblocks. 4-window range to right has
unhorned sashes with glazing bars and 3 windows to left are plain C19 sashes.
Central entrance has flanking Doric pilasters with plain entablature and
dentilled cornice over. Entrance to Corn Exchange to left has C19 broken
pediment over, with moulded brackets, and central corn sheaf motif. Flanking
windows are plain C19 sashes under stone lintels with keyblocks. C19 five-light
shop front with recessed 4-panel door to far right has C20 shop window to left.
Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers and 2 flat-topped roof dormers to right
range. Differing roof pitches between right and left ranges, that to left
probably raised when converted to Corn Exchange. Central brick and stone stack
to right range and brick stacks to ends of left range. Central entrance has
partially legible inscription and date 1850 over. Relief corn sheaf and wooden
plough over entrance. Evidence of former gauged stone head to carriage arch to
left of central entrance. Rear elevation has short C18 wing and 2 C19 ranges
including the hall of the Corn Exchange. Interior: central entrance gives access
to small light well, probably remains of central courtyard area. Corn Exchange
is large C19 hall, roof structure modified C20. Originally the George Inn.
Listing NGR: SP9961578685
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings