This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3923 / 52°23'32"N
Longitude: -0.5375 / 0°32'14"W
OS Eastings: 499621
OS Northings: 278143
OS Grid: SP996781
Mapcode National: GBR FYS.WG4
Mapcode Global: VHFP1.M4QF
Plus Code: 9C4X9FR7+W2
Entry Name: East Northamptonshire District Council Stores, Cleansing Department and Document Store
Listing Date: 31 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226971
English Heritage Legacy ID: 424515
Location: Thrapston, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14
Civil Parish: Thrapston
Built-Up Area: Thrapston
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Thrapston St James
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP9978 THRAPSTON MIDLAND ROAD
16/183 East Northamptonshire District
Council Stores, Cleansing
Department and Document Store
Workhouse, now Local Authority offices and stores, c.1836 by M.J. Donthorne.
Squared coursed limestone, with ashlar facades and dressings, and slate roofs.
Originally four 3-sided courtyards. 2 storeys. Main front of 13 bays. Centre and
end bays break forward as cross wings forming sides of 2 courtyards. Centre
cross wing has gabled end with 7-light stone-mullion window at first floor, with
arch-head lights and transoms. Similar pair of 2-light windows at ground floor.
Chamfered and corbelled corners and ashlar gable parapet with octagonal finial.
Return wall has stone-mullion windows and lateral stack with octagonal flues.
5-window ranges, flanking either side, of 2-light stone-mullion windows with
transoms at ground floor and gablets over at first floor. Return walls of
flanking cross wings are similar 3-window ranges. Right cross wing has C20
lean-to extension. Rear elevations of main range are each of 5-window ranges.
Central rear wing attached at right angles of 6-window range. Various casements,
at first floor, under scored stone lintels with keyblocks. Various C20 openings
at ground floor. Intersection of main cross wings is octagonal and has 2
doorways, to rear elevation, with 4-centred arch-heads; giving access to
through-passage between courtyards. Interior: central staircase with stick
balustrade. Masters office, to front of central cross wing, has C19 fireplace
and panelled window reveals. First floor hall of main cross wing has arch-head
stone surrounds to windows. The third side of the 2 rear courtyards was
demolished about 1900. W.J. Donthorne was also architect for No.78 (The Old
Rectory), High Street (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SP9962178143
Other nearby listed buildings