History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wadenhoe, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4382 / 52°26'17"N

Longitude: -0.5177 / 0°31'3"W

OS Eastings: 500863

OS Northings: 283284

OS Grid: TL008832

Mapcode National: GBR FYF.1Y5

Mapcode Global: VHFNN.ZZ67

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Last Amended: 31 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227141

English Heritage Legacy ID: 424777

Location: Wadenhoe, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Wadenhoe

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Wadenhoe St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Wadenhoe

Listing Text

TL08SW
4/220
23/05/67


WADENHOE
CHURCH STREET
(North side)
Church of St. Michael and All
Angels


(Formerly listed as Church of St. Michael)


GV II*


Church. Late C12, C13 and early C14, restored C18 and C19. Squared coursed
limestone and limestone ashlar with lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled
nave, chancel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel, restored
C18, is a 2-window range of lancets. C19 gabled vestry, projecting between
windows, has south elevation of 2-window range of lancets with a niche between.
Small lean-to building between vestry and east wall of south aisle. Chancel has
gabled Collyweston slate roof rising behind plain parapet with 2 gargoyles. C18
two-light east window with pointed head and roundel. String course above window
rises to follow line of gable above window. Plain ashlar pilasters at corners.
North elevation of chancel is similar to south elevation with 2 lancet windows.
South aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range, with 2 two-light windows to right; both
with restored tracery. C13 south doorway has 2-centred arch head and roll
mouldings. Single-stage buttresses between bays and lean-to roof with plain
ashlar parapet. 3-light east window with Y-tracery and cusping. North aisle of 3
bays, 2-window range, of 2-light windows with restored tracery. 2-stage
buttresses between windows. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 3-light east
window with restored geometrical tracery and carved label stops and 2-light west
window with restored tracery. C13 gabled porch in bay to right has roll-moulded
inner and outer doorways with 2-centred-arch heads. Vaulted porch ceiling,
restored C19/early C20. Nave clerestory of 2-window range of 2-light square-head
windows. Shallow-gable roof with plain ashlar parapet. Late C12 west tower of 3
stages with 2-stage clasping buttresses. Lancet window to west face of first
stage and C12 triple arcade with detached shafts to north face. Lancets to south
and west faces, one is blocked. Lancets, to staircase, to each face of upper
stage. Opening to east face has centre shaft and opening to north face has
square head. Saddleback roof, with ashlar gable parapets and finial, is probably
C13. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of double-chamfered arches with quatrefoil
piers. Semi-circular responds to north side and polygonal responds to south
side. C13 north arcade with nailhead decoration to capitals and c.1300 south
arcade with some stiff-leaf capitals. Double-chamfered chancel arch with
bracketed responds with green-man and similar corbel. Double-chamfered tower
arch with polygonal reponds. C18 plain tunnel-vaulted chancel ceiling and C19
roof structures to nave and aisles. 2 small relieving arches with keyblocks at
floor level in vestry. Trefoil head piscina in south aisle. C13 circular font
decorated with stiff leaves and supported on 4 shafts. Perpendicular bench ends
in aisles. Fragments of C17 panelling in chancel and south aisle. Late C18
fielded-panelled pulpit. Wooden plaque in north aisle has inscription: 1686 John
Waver, John Peric, churchwardens. 2 hatchments in belfry. Fragment of medieval
glass in east window of south aisle. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass in all
chancel windows, probably by Kempe, and east window of north aisle. Monuments:
John Andrewe died 1629, brass plaque in floor of nave. Brooke Bridges died 1702,
north wall of chancel by E. Stanton, inscribed marble tablet with pilasters,
segmental pediment and 3 cherubs heads at base. C18 marble tablet on opposite
wall has broken pediment and illegible inscription. Various C19 inscribed
tablets to the Hunt family of Wadenhoe House.
(VCH; Northamptonshire: Vol.3, p149; Buildings of England: Northamptonshire:
p439)


Listing NGR: TL0086383284

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.